Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corporate anti-spam products?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imanassypov

Technical User
Apr 11, 2007
US
Good time of day all,

Can you suggest any good/tested corporate scale anti-spam solution which would integrate with postfix? I am specifically interested in unix/linux products...

I have searched all over, and there are tons of names which all claim to be the most accurate etc. etc...

If I deploy spamassassin, would it be able to cope with ~100,000 messages daily?

Thanks!

-igor

I used a combo of greylisting and blacklisting (RBL's) successfully in a large corporate environment, blocked on average around 300,000 to 400,000 spams a day (90% of the internet SMTP traffic). We used to use Trend IMSS only, this choked on all the spam, killing the server. By stopping most spam at the SMTP connection level the server started breathing a lot easier and Trend chugged away nicely again.

There are quite a few freeware options out there for greylisting, from file based (tumgreyspf) to MySQL versions. The choice here would be on what you will be comfortable with. We went initially with tumgreyspf, but moved to a MySQL version later on to make white/grey listing easier for the GUI crippled service desk.

For blacklisting you can use RBL's like spamcop, spamhaus, etc. There are others which specifically block dynamic IP address ranges, etc. Do a search in Google for Postfix RBL and you will find quite a few helpful sites.

Avoid LBL's (local black list) if possible, it's too much work to keep these up to date, even if you subscribe to a service where the updated LBL is downloaded regularly. I tried this initially, but it wasn't that effective.

Good luck.

IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration
MS Certified Windblows Rebooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back