Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corel Draw 11.0 for screen printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

splattergirl

Technical User
Oct 14, 2003
US
I just set up a screen printing shop. I am having trouble learning this program for what I need. Does anyone know what to do after you scan an object in? After that I am lost. Also need to know how to fill an object with color that is imported from a disk? It is just a black and white graphic.

The answer as to what to do could take pages and pages as an answer would almost certainly lead to another question but for a start will you be screening four colour work or spot colours? are you producing signs/posters/shirts? do you want to output your artwork to film or maybe a sign cutting plotter on Ruby film? A little more information will help everybody here help you more as I'm, sure members here have expertise in different fields.
Regards
Alan

ok, the scanned in art is 2 color. The text above it and below it is just one color. It is going on a T-shirt. I will output my artwork on vellum paper to burn on a screen. I called Corel and the guy that I talked too told me to scan it into Trace, outline trace it, save the trace and then import it to Draw and then ungroup it. Also told me to change it to a vector image. That is where he left me hanging. He told me that I needed to go to the website usscreen.com and I could buy some information on screenprinting and corel draw. I wasn't very happy at this point. I guess I didn't realize how difficult learning this program was going to be.

The image that is black outline that is imported from the disk is also going on a T. I need to know how to fill it in draw. When I try it, it fills the whole object the same color.

Any help is apprecited. I am thinking about taking lessons if I can find someone who can help me with what I need to know about this program for screen printers. I have got to get this business off the ground as quickly as possible.

The advantage of working in vectors is that you can colour indidual bits easily and can rescale to any size and it will always print to the maximum resolution of your output device (file sizes may be smaller too) Trace will do the coversion but in my experience not very well if you compare it sign programme vectorisers ie Signlab. In many intances it can be quicker to scan your artwork and use it as a template, if you have the font place this over the top and manually draw the logo. I would use pantone as your colour model. As for output is your vellum paper a kind of laser film used in a laser printer, if so wiping with white spirit or image enhancer fluid and warming will make the image much blacker and burn into the screen with less burnout. As you progress the sign programmes are worth looking at because they have better weld functions which you may appreciate for closer registration work. I think this is enough for now, post any specific questions and I/we will help further.
Regards
Alan

How do I cut an image out of a photo so a I can place the image on a different back ground the only tool i can find is a cropping tool and that only crops in retangles i want to remove ie a image such as a car from a digital photo and place it on a different background i have coral draw 5.0 or do i need a different kind of software. Thank you

ddmagic, a new thread would have been better, but in short, use Corel Photopaint, not Draw. Use the masking tools to outline the car. A combination of the brush and the magic wand (if available in 5 - been so long I forget). Once you have the car masked, then you need to make it into an object (it should be under the object menu -> Create new object from mask) Play with the menus until you find something similar to that. This will give you a new object ofjust the masked portion of your image - the car. That is a quick run down, but should get you started.

Hi ddmagic,

I have answered a very similar question like your's before. Here it is again. I hope it works for v5

The following steps will help you accomplish what you want to do,within corel draw itself.

1) on the toolbar to the left select the free-hand tool, it's the one located on the fourth icon down, it looks like a pencil (forgive me if my instructions appear to be created for a novice but I don't know the experience one has when I give instructions for proceedures)

2) use this tool to make an outline around the car

3) once you have an outline and it's closed then click "Effects" on the top menu bar

4) then click on lens....you should see a window pop open to the right side of your work area

5) in the window below the circle on a rectangle, there's a box that has a pull down menu...be sure the selection "Brighten" is chosen

6) then in the box for "Rate" enter "0"

7) place a check mark in the box beside "Frozen"

8) now click on "Apply"

9) to remove the outline around the car, right click on the "X" at the top of the color pallette bar located at the right side of your work area.

You have just created a duplicate of the car you outlined in the photo. You can now place this duplicate over any photo or other piece of art, you wish.

rh14k
H osting
E ducational
L earning for
PC users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back