Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying Windows to a new drive, using linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very well done, and thank you.

It is however missing a key aspect of XP, which is your failure to duplicate the volume label of the original drive. This creates an activation issue, which while not insurmountable should at least be a consideration when you edit your guide. This data is written not in the MBR but in the CDE sector of the drive.

In addition, your method destroys the GUID ID of the drive. If one is using Win2k/XP/Windows 2003 with NTFS Mounted drives or Junction points, the information is now gone.

In addition, this is not an unacceptable approach under XP64. As it goes RTM soon, and has been widely available for over a year as a RTC public trial, it seems surprising that you would not include mention of the issue you have created.

My typo, apoligies,

"In addition, this is not an unacceptable approach under XP64."

"In addition, this is not an acceptable approach under XP64."

Let me repeat how well done this guide was written.
I congratulate Forum member Milbus for this effort.

I only note as a convencience that a disk-to-disk copy is available for free from many hard disk vendors, and should be I think used as an alternative approach to creating a Knoppix CD.

bcastner, thanks for your input. I had overlooked those items you mentioned. Having only tested this on virtual machines, I never found any problems.

I will look into how I can fix the problems you mentioned, at least for XP. If you have any suggestions on what I might do to copy the volume label and the GUID for mounted shares, please let me know.

Thanks,
Nilbus

Hm, it's interesting that you said that the volume label and GUID were destroyed, not missing. Since they're part of the filesystem, I have to assume that they are being copied. Can you explain how they are destroyed after copying to the new drive?

They are not part of the MBR.
Your guide only copies that information.

The "Volume Name Extensions" are part of sector 1 on the drive, and the CDE sector as backup. Which is rad and returned to the OS is firmware specific to the drive. The information is not part of the MBR or partition table information.

Unless you give me a good argument otherwise, your approach copies the data section and MBR only portions of the hard disk drive.

I stand by my earlier comments as to why this is not enough in the three cases I mentioned.

(And I would very much appreciate be shown wrong. This is my understanding of how various issues: from authentication, GUID identification of junction points under NTFS, and the native XP 64 filestore ehnancements of ntfs work).

I'm not saying you're wrong, but rather trying to figure out what I don't understand.

What/where is the CDE sector? I can't find anything relavent on google, related to CDE and XP, NTFS, or hard disk/drives.

My guide copies the boot code from the MBR, and the entire windows partition, byte for byte, to the new drive. Are you saying that this CDE sector is outside that area? A volume label clearly could not fit in the 64 byte partition table. Unless the CDE is outside the partition boundaries, I don't see how I missed it.

I apologize for giving Nilbus relatively short shrift here, as I have been swamped with both work and family obligations this Easter Holiday. If you give me about thirty hours I should be done with both work issues (and relatives) and give this topic more attention.

I am less confident then when I began responding in this thread about what exactly has to be copied. And to give a credible response to Nilbus will require some research, for which I just do not have the time this weekend.

Also, I did want to mention a freeware disk-to-disk cloning software:
My preference if one of your drives fits the scenario is to use the drive manufacturer software to do the clone if possible, but the above freeware will handle the job.

Thanks for taking time to look into that for me, even though you're busy.

I tried to find the source code on that site, but could only find a binary. Do you have the source code?

Ask Mark Russinovich. Go to the site, and he has a mailto: link at the top of every page.

I am sure he will help.

Best wishes,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back