Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying table cells into Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawrenceG

Technical User
Nov 5, 2003
CA
Hello

Is there any way to copy table cells (either from MS Word or Excel) and paste them into a Frame table such that the cell formatting is retained?

Each time I try, all the data that had originally been divided into separate cells in Word/Excel gets dumped into a single cell in Frame.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Have you tried using the Paste Special commands? It gives you some options for how you want to paste. For example, when I tried pasting a table from Word, I got the following options to paste special:
* Embedded Microsoft Word Document Object
* Linked Microsoft Word Document Object
* Metafile
* Rich Text Format
* Text

I selected Rich Text Format, and my table seemed to paste okay.

I think if you select the embedded or linked options, the link will be maintained, and any updates that you make to the Word or Excel tables will show up in the Frame document. You might have to copy/paste special cell by cell for that option, though.

Rick Henkel
Senior Systems Developer

Another method is to "Paste Special, text" the cells into Framemaker.

(The table cells will be seperated by the tab ">" marker.)

Highlight the text and from the Table menu select "Convert to Table".

You wil then be ask which table format to use and how many header rows. Convert.

This will create a new table in your desired tabel format with a header row.

Convert to Text have other options for converting text based data to table; such as different delimiters, more than say 2 spaces, etc.

CGresley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back