Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying .pst files when outlook is open

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuT

Technical User
May 19, 2005
GB
My boss wants me to schedule backups of his .pst files in outlook, for 5:30 every evening. However, he is still usually in the office using outlook at that time. What he wants is something set up to do shadow copies of the .pst files.

The format needs to stay the same, hence I cannot use Windows Backup which archives in .bkf format.

Ive already tried Karenware's Replicator (Karenware.com) and tried making a batch file but both of those will not copy an open file.

Anyone got any ideas on how I could do this? We are not looking to spend on third party software, however, free programs will be much helpful

many thanks

Stu

Thank you tom. However, Although it claims to be automated, You actually need to go into the backup option to do this. You can only set reminders to be scheduled as far as I can see.

The add-in pops a dialog box after OL is closed, default button <Save Backup>. Your boss would need to hit the "Enter" key if it's past 5:30h.
You could still use a batch file for those other days.

Actually, setting a more realistic time for the backup would probably be the best solution.

TomCologne

Thank you Tom

One last question, sort of related. If I were to set up Windows Backup to backup these files at 10pm, when I know the boss will be gone, Will it still run if everyone is logged off the computer? (The computer is left at the logon screen)

Cheers
Stu

as long as the system which is accessing it, has permissions to access the file, then yes it will still back it up.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

And also the feature needs you to close the program so it can backup the pst file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back