Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying or Exporting Layouts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

keiem

Technical User
Aug 1, 2001
US
Does anyone know of an easy way to copy finished layouts from one Filemaker database to another? The only way I've figured out how to duplicate a layout in this way is to select the layout elements individually (or all together) and copy and paste them to the second database. Unfortunately, this always requires additional work to get the layout to look the way that it is supposed to.

Thanks,
Keiem

no can do...ur doing the only-rigth way :)possible

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

There used to be an Apple only program that would allwo this for FMP 4 but that's been a while ago. Basically the copy and paste method is the most common but it requires remapping or the same field names.

Another option if this is an everyday occurance is to write a set of scripts based of the Status(CurrentField) function and WinBatch. This would copy all the fields, create the fields, and then allow a 'clean' caopy and paste.

No short answer. The rumor is that FileMaker 7 is going to use a single file and make script sharing very easy. Hopefully this will go for layouts as well.

Another option is to move your style more towards a viewer file. If two layout are almost identical you simply change the key field instead of the layout.

Just a thought...

thanks,

Joe King
FMP Developer

Keiem, I'm curious about your application? I use Copy and Paste quite a lot for copying layouts. This is almost invariably because I've made some terrible design blunder and have a layout in the wrong file.
Once in a while, I've had a genuine need to copy a layout. It helps considerably but you don't have to have exactly the same fields; you do need to have a map in your head of what the fields on the layout are and what the corresponding fields in the newer file are. (This can send you grey overnight.)

Cheers,
Paul J.

Because we don't yet have a set policy for information management, the staff at my firm reuses copies of old databases for work on new projects as they come in. The individual users tend to make changes to these copies such that, while the core data fields remain essentially the same, the layouts end up varying greatly from copy to copy.

I was recently faced with a situation where was asked to adjust the formatting of a layout to match the format of a final report one of the firm's principles was producing. The principal finished layout so much that he asked that it be put added for one other projects, which used a separate but similar database. Between the two files all of the data fields were the same, but the layouts were different. I posted here hoping to find a better way to copy the recently created layouts from the one file to the other.
I ended up simply copying and pasting. All went well after tweaking the new layouts a bit to get them to look the same.

It sure would be nice if Filemaker 7 included a function for this. Being an MS Access user as well, the copying of forms, reports, etc. from one file to another is something I've come to take for granted in that application. It sure cuts down on the amount of recoding/design I have to do. In a small way, I consider it a failure on Filemaker's part for not including it as a function of the program sooner.

Keiem,
I think we might have a communication problem here. If you have two files with the same data fields, then
Select all -> copy -> paste
works like a dream.
The fields do have to have exactly the same names. It doesn't work too well with related fields.
This 'problem' with names is the only place I can think of where FMP gives anywhere near the trouble that MS Access gives with names.

Cheers,
Paul J.

The problem I've had is not with the field names, nor with the data being displayed. Rather, it is in the duplication of the layout design. Even with copy/paste you still have to take some time to readjust the pasted layout objects to match the originals. It would be much easier if you could duplicate the original layout in its entirety, instead of in pieces.

"It would be much easier if you could duplicate the original layout in its entirety, instead of in pieces."
---> if in the same file (in layout mode) Layouts-->Duplicate Layout

-->if copy/paste into different files then u can group things/objects together and copy them as such
eg.
body,header
and when u do the paste part just use the arrow keys to align objects. this way if u have a header of an odd size u can re-size the newly created header and move all the objects in the header together...basically it will feel as ur moveing one object vs. many buttons etc.

of course there will always be some extra work....computers can't read minds... :) the day they do I will stop thinking (oh crap they know my plan already LOL)

All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Keiem, you are dead right. It would be easier ......
BUT it isn't. I am still puzzled at just where your problem is. If it's the size of the parts, then set them using Show Object Size. One thing that does help a bit is to have a 'thing' - anything - in the top left hand corner of the original layout. When you paste, make sure you have the cursor near the top left. FMP will then position the copy exactly as the original.

Cheers,
Paul J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back