Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copying open files

Status
Not open for further replies.

dor35

Technical User
Nov 27, 2003
GB
When I used WIN3.0, I could copy a locked file by disabling share. Can't seem to be able to do this in WIN98/XP.

Does anyone know of a utility which will let me copy a file without shutting down the (DOS) program that is holding it open?

(I know about vol. shadow copy, but that won't work on my system).

THanks

Assuming this is not a data file, as there is little purpose in copying an in-use data file:

Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager.
Processes tab.
Highlight explorer.exe. at the bottom right 'End Task'
File, New Task, do the copy operation.
End by:
File, New Task, explorer.exe (to restart your desktop)

Thanks for those two suggestions. Don't think the inuse.exe will work as it appears to be designed for replacing files such as .dlls rather than copying a file.

THe file I want to copy is a clipper data file. The appication polls our factory every hour, and if there are any new batch records it copies them back. Unfortunately the application opens and locks every file in sight when it is first started. I want to be able to automatically back up the data files overnight (when there is no risk of the file actually being updated) but I can only copy the file by closing the program. I am almost tempted to put WIN 3.0 back on the PC does does the polling!

I am sure it would be possible to have a copy utility that would ignore the Windows sharing violation, but writing it is beyond me. I am sure also that such a utility would be useful to lots of people.

Use Control Panel, Scheduled Tasks to create two tasks:

. Enable Autologon for the machine
. Create a scheduled task, scheduled 'at Logon', to:

. Backup the data sets
. Start your Clipper application

. Create a Scheduled Task to reboot the machine once a night.

You would create two batch files as the jobs to be scheduled.

For the second job, the automatic reboot, the batch file would simply call the native tool shutdown.exe:

shutdown -r

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back