Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying NTFS Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffy

MIS
Nov 27, 2000
US
Is there any way to move user's home directorys from 1 server to another keeping all of the NTFS permissions from the old server? I need to replace an older server with a new one but I don't want to have to set all of the NTFS permissions.

If this can't be done. Is there any utility that will generate a report of what permissions are currently set on all of the folders without have to look at each folder?

Thanks

Maybe try a backup of your system state and restore it to the new server.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Get SecureCopy from Small Wonders Software. It will move the data and all permissions. If the folders have local groups in the ACLs it will recreate the groups on the new server as well and give the appropriate access. It will also recreate the Share if you want.

Thanks to everyone who responded. It looks like XCOPY with the right switches will work for my purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back