Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copying large files from Windows 7 pc to XP Pro pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

wubba68

Technical User
Feb 15, 2005
US
I am having an issue when copying a large (~150MB) file over the network from a Windows 7 pc to a Windows XP pro machine. The transfer stalls out about 10% of the way through and eventually errors out. I can copy files from the XP machine to the Windows 7 machine with no problems and can also copy files to and from the Windows 7 PC from the XP machine. There is another Win7 pc on the network that has the same issue. Another XP machine on the network transfers just fine. I've tried turning off auto tuning [netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel= disabled] and have also tried turning off Remote Differential Compression with no luck. Suggestions on how to proceed from here would be appreciated.

Can you transfer the files if the Windows 7 machine (or vice versa) is running in "Safe Mode with Networking"?

What is the error you are getting?
What are you using to do the copy, explorer?
Is the destination XP machine short of resources, disk space or needing defrag?

I would try using MS's robocopy program, which has excellent error recovery features & timeout settings and often will work in dodgy network situations and over vpn connections when other programs fail.

Jock

Thanks everyone for the responses. I was able to check all of your suggestions this morning.

linney- The copy still fails in safe mode.

JockMullin- Yes, I'm using Explorer to do the copy. The XP machine has plenty of resources. Using another program to copy isn't really an option.

BigBadBen- tried everything on your list with no change.

So far I've tried the following:
*Turning off IPV6, Turning off large send offload (IPV4) (IPV4 v2) and (IPV6 V2)
*Changed Network Security: Lan Manager Authentication Level to 'Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session if negotiated'
*Changed Network Security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSp Based Clients to 'unchecked (no minimum)'
*Turned off Link Layer Topology Discover Mapper I/O Driver and Link Layer Topology Discover Responder in the LAN Properties.

The problem isn't affecting the users' ability to access the files over the network so far. They can open an Access database file (this is the one that is ~150MB) and a Quickbooks data file that is even larger.

Well, that file isn't really all that large. I routinely copy much larger files than that between Win 7 and XP systems without problem.

The fact it is limited to one XP box is probably significant. I would start thinking about changing the port on the switch, swapping the network cable and trying another nic.

Also, I have seen some nics that work more reliably if the link speed is set to the actual value rather than auto detect.

I am still wondering what the error is you are getting when the copy fails. Is there anything in the logs at that time?

Jock

Also, I have seen some nics that work more reliably if the link speed is set to the actual value rather than auto detect.
I've seen this as well - at least once that I can remember, and not terribly long ago.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

JockMullin - I meant to put the error message up earlier. I get 'There is a problem accessing M:\ Make sure you are connected to the network and try again.' I haven't checked the system logs. I will try to get to that. I would agree about there being a hardware issue but I don't get this error when I copy a file from another XP machine to this machine. Also I don't get the error when I copy files from the XP machine to any of the others; Only when copy a file TO the XP machine FROM the Windows 7 machines.

for the XP machines take a gander at:

How Autodisconnect Works in Windows NT and Windows 2000

also this may be of interest:

Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

One more vote for avoiding auto detect. Of course I've also seen similar symptoms trying to force 100baseT over silver satin cable.

OK, I was finally able to check out this issue again today. I found no errors in the Windows 7 machine's event log. I also tried setting the nic's speed settings to 100Mbps Full Duplex. I'll try swapping out the cables next and see if that helps. Thanks for your suggestions!

@wubba68@wubba68, curious if this was resolved, if so what was the final fix action?

No resolution yet. The only suggestion I haven't tried so far is changing out the ethernet cables.

Out of interest have you tried running a persistent ping whilst copying, that way you should see whether it's actually an issue with the share or the machine.

ping -t x.x.x.x will give you a constant ping until you cancel it.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

While this doesn't help as to the why, there is a program that may help. JRSplit is a program that will split large files into chunks. You can transfer each chunk individually, then reassemble them later. I use this when I send large files to email addresses that have a small limit on their in boxes.

On a hardware side, have you checked the cables? The faster the network connection, the more compliant to the standards a cable must be. You have to realize that the cables are more than just wires running from place to place. They are twisted and wrapped a certain way for a reason.

The longer a cable, the more impedance there is. That's physics. Cat 5-x and cat 6 cables are designed to minimize that resistance and to prevent interference from electromagnetic radiation that comes from other devices.

Where the wires run can also affect them. I've seen cabling that ran fine under cat 3 specs but had to be moved before they would pass cat 5 spec. The reason, they were laid right next to power lines.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Talking of Cat, reminds me of the odd occasion that mice, rats and other furry things get a taste for cabling.

Talking of Cat, reminds me of the odd occasion that mice, rats and other furry things get a taste for cabling.
I really think they get a good buzz from the small amount of current running through the wires. :)

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

As a long-suffering homeowner I can report that squirrels and other small rodents will gnaw away at anything made of rubber or soft plastic whether or not there is any current or wiring involved.

Breaching the insulation allows moisture to enter which causes signal attenuation even though not a short.

In the area of cable interference, I find running unshielded cables over fluorescent light fixtures is a frequent source of problems.

Jock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back