Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying Files from Network Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

dblarch

Technical User
Mar 8, 2004
US
There's a suite of directories on the network containing data tables, queries, answer tables etc. I've created local directories of the same names. I'd like to copy the contents of each network directory to its corresponding local directory temporarily. The intention is to speed up the project as working over the network substantially slows processing.

Once the session is done I'd like to move the files back from the local directories to their corresponding network directories leaving the local directories empty and thus ready for the next session.

"copy" doesn't accept wildcards and I don't know in advance the names of the data files to be copied. I can't find any command that accomplishes this task.

Are you trying to do this with Paradox?

Or from a command prompt?

Command prompt, easiest would probably be xCopy.

Paradox, look at enumfilelist() and the filesystem type.

You can then step through the resulting array and issue a filesystem.copy(..,..)

Likely you'll need to look at folders/directories, and create the 'tree' first.

As you copy, you'd probably do yourself a favor to keep a copy of which files are copied, and from where.

Tony McGuire
"It's not about having enough time. It's about priorities.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your quick response. The filesystem types worked just fine. Scanning the table created by enumFileList, I noticed the DOS "." and ".." hidden files. They caused an "Access is denied." error when I attempted to copy them. Once they were filtered out the filesystem copy command worked as planned.

Thanks again,
dblarch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back