Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copying files from hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifix1

Technical User
Dec 31, 2001
US
hi folks
i have a friend who is going to put a new hard drive in his computer, his old h/d has win98 on it.my ? is can he put win2000 useing ntfs on his new h/d and copy ALL his folders and files off of his old h/d....

thanks for any replies..

Yes it is possible if he tells windows2000 to use the new hard disk when installing. Once in windows2000 you will be able to read the files on the 98 FAT32 disk. But it will not work the other way around. If you are on windows98 you will not be able to read the 2000 NTFS disk.

Hope this helps
Brett Cheat Life With Our Help
-- --

Brett is right ... W2K can access the old stuff easily, even if you take out the drive, and install the new raw drive then later add the old drive on the IDE to retrieve the data desired.

What I would do myself ... use the old OS to copy all files to where you can get to them easily, say a MY STORE folder directly on C: . That way you have copies of things handy also and your OLD OS can work too. [I actually Use the old OS to format the RAW drive to FAT32, and copy my stuff to the new drive prior to installing W2K and it is there waiting if I do not install with the format option.]

If you leave the OLD drive in place (master) W2K will setup on the second drive but refer back to the old drive and might set up twin boots depending on your choices while installing. So then your bootlog will be on the first drive as well ... I would not do it like that.

If you take the OLD drive out your data is safe and sound until you are ready to extract it from there.

I also would not install W2K in NTFS unless you are bent on security, and have the speed to keep up with it's tableing structure. IT WORKS BEST on FAT32 ... no matter what others might say.

If you get all thing set up and then have info on the NTFS you will NOT be able to plug in your old OS drive in and salvage from there if something occured in the future. You can if it is FAT32.

sorry it took so long to get a thank yuo out of me i was just too busy yesterday to get on............

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR REPLIES!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back