Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copying colors from a website 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsbbr

Technical User
Sep 5, 2002
US
I have PhotoShop 7.0 open and also a webpage open. I'd like to duplicate in PhotoShop the colors in the webpage. I've used the eyedropper tool every way I can imagine, consulted manuals and Help, all to no avail.

I'm probably not looking under the right words in the index. I know I should be able to do this in PhotoShop and need to learn how.

Sorry about this elementary question. I thought I could do it in Illustrator (I was unsuccessful), but I guess it's more often done in PhotoShop.

Can anyone help? I did this once, but it was purely by accident, and I can't repeat it for the life of me. I even remember reading how to do it once in a book (about 6 months ago), but I can't remember where I read it. It might have been a library book....

Thanks.

if you do not have a web program like Dreamweaver you could always take a snapshot of the web page and import that into Photoshop - problem sorted!

Kind Regards
Duncan

Okay, Duncdude, this brings up another little bit of ignorance of mine. A month ago, I tried to capture a webpage every which way I could, and I finally gave up. I tried again when I was attempting this color sampling from a webpage and again was unsuccessful.

I'm not a techie, although I do pick up programs quickly. But there are some gaps in my learning. Usually I can research them out, but sometimes I just don't know the right keywords or can't make a connection somewhere. Our hardware guy can't quite remember how to capture a webpage, either.

Wullie, thanks for the referral. I work for a nonprofit, and (sadly) $8 is too much for me to request right now. However, I sent the link home in case I decide to get it there!

Thank you both for your patience. I think that if I could get the webpage into PhotoShop, I could get the colors.

Method 1

You can capture the window you see on your screen by holdinh down the [Alt} key while hitting the [PrintScreen] key.

Open a new pic in PShop and paste.

Method 2

You can right click on the web page picture and if it's truly a picture you have the option to (save picture) to your PC.

Got it! Thank you all. I knew this was elementary for you, and I appreciate your patience.

right click on the page > view source.
This will open the code in notepad, find the entry for the background or table colour or whatever you wantthere will be a hash mark next to some numbers(or numbers and letters)EG:BGCOLOR="#CCCCCC".
Copy this(CCCCCC into the box at the bottom next to the hash mark) into the color picker in photoshop.
Or with the code in notepad save the file as 'something.html', this will save the page without any of the graphics.
Any images on the page can be saved(or if right clicking is disabled - drag them out of your temporary internet files folder) and open in photoshop, where you can use the color picker on them.

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

Sorry, if right clicking IS disabled, go to 'View>Source', or you could copy the html file straight from the temporary internet files folder as well as any graphics.

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

Thanks, barehug! I did view the source code during my search and found the color but couldn't make heads or tails of it. Now that you're telling me what to do with it, I know exactly the field you're talking about to drop it into.

I always wondered what the color code in that field meant, but since I didn't need it (I thought), I never took the time to look it up...since there are generally "rush" items on my desk.

Barehug (ha ha I just noticed the spelling) is right ...well most of the time.

Many sites have no "BGCOLOR=" statements in their source but have colored pics on a white background.

In this case you will need to do one of the other methods mentioned above.

example

Why did this post go any further than Wullie's Post?

<Signature>
Sometimes the Answer You Are LOOKING for can be FOUND BY SEARCHING THE FAQ'S @&%$*#!!!
</Signature>

Deecee, sorry I annoyed you. I tried to find the answer in manuals, online, in the Help section (unfortunately, Illustrator's Help, and the Illustrator folk suggested I go to PhotoShop), and word searches on this forum before I resorted to the forum itself.

On the forum, I used the word search with the words &quot;copy webpage&quot; and &quot;copy colors.&quot; I was under the impression that this search would cover the entire PhotoShop forum, including the FAQs.

The results of those searches didn't give me the info I needed to answer my question. So I posted.

From now on, I will know that a word search doesn't cover the FAQs. As I try the search again, I see that the word &quot;capture&quot; would have gotten me my info, but I didn't know the lingo.

Again, I'm sorry to have annoyed you. I'm a minister whose job requires me to work in Quark, Illustrator, Act, PhotoShop, and other programs, all of which I have had to learn on my own. (Actually, I find that to be a fun challenge, and we have no funds for training anyway.) I am currently learning InDesign. I don't have the tech background that you all might have, and when I am missing the right keyword (that design professionals would think was obvious) during research of a problem, I sometimes hit a dead end.

For the generous teachers (formal or not) on this forum, I thank you for your patience, kindness, and willingness to give a few moments to those of us whose somehow are missing the obvious and whose organizations are extremely financially-challenged. (We finally buy the programs after much pitching, but I get the manuals out of the local library and renew them as long as I can. Fortunately, Adobe has pretty good Help sections, unlike Quark.)

I try to bother you as little as possible with the gaps in my software knowledge, knowing that you are all as busy or busier with deadlines as I am.

With warm regards and gratitude,
gsbbr

You didn't annoy anyone here, gsbbr! I can appreciate that you want to learn how to do something rather than install yet another application that does it for you.
This is a forum for tek-tips not just a link page for apps.
We try to pass on our experience in order to increase your learning curve.
Plus, I personally like as few apps on my system as possible.

you didnt annoy me -- just that the app this wullie had pointed out saves a lot of time

1) no need for screen shots
2) no need to open view source
3) no need to open an image editing program

It like the wheel has been invented -- why reinvent it?

also the app take up like 500kb on your HD

but if you learnt something then i guess i was in err and appologize

<Signature>
Sometimes the Answer You Are LOOKING for can be FOUND BY SEARCHING THE FAQ'S @&%$*#!!!
</Signature>

Thanks for your kind messages. My 19-year-old computer geek son taught me a few years ago (when he was less patient than he is now) the meaning of RTFM, which suggests pointedly that we read the manual before asking questions. So I really try to do my homework first.

The reason I didn't use the app was because color sampling is something I need to do repeatedly in my job, and I was balking at asking my organization for $8, especially if it was something I could learn to do myself. (I work at a nonprofit, and finances are scarce at this particular one.)

So again, thank you all. I learned something from each of you, including Deecee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back