Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copying a chart in Excel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

angler2229

Technical User
May 3, 2002
US
At our school we are charting our attendance for several weeks, so I am building a spreadsheet for every teacher to use.

I started a workbook that contains the attendance data and made a customized chart. Then I copied the data to all the other sheets. I also copied the chart to the other sheets, but of course, when I change the data in the first sheet, the charts on the other sheets change too.

Here is the question. Can I break the links to the other charts and make a new link between the data on that sheet?

Thanks,

Daniel

change the source of the chart.

Right click - goto source data and manually change the sheet name that the source data refers to. If the format of the sheets is the same then this should work.

Its tedios - but.....

Or

You could be clever and record a macro that does it and set the sheet name as a variable that you could change - but if you dont know/care about vba this would probably take longer than actaully changing them manually.

Robert Cumming

A shorter step might be to go to Edit, Links; change Source and select the current workbook name for each of the workbooks

It's your choice which one to use

Hi,

Why are you creating a ZILLION charts when ONE will do?

Here are the guidelines that a professional would use...

1. a SINGLE data table.

2. a SINGLE chart linked to the SINGLE data table.

3. With the chart selected -- Tools/Options - Chart Tab -- Plot visible cells only

4. on the SOURCE DATA sheet, Data/Filter/Autofilter -- turn on the macro recorder and select a student -- turn off the recorder

5. Create a UNIQUE list of Teachers.

4. Insert a Forms Drop Down on the chart -- reference the UNIQUE list of Teachers in the Input Range -- reference a cell on another sheet for the Cell Link, lets assume Sheet2!A1. In the adjacent cell Sheet2!B1=INDEX(reference the UNIQUE list of Teachers,A1,1)

5. In your recorded macro, where the TEACHERS NAME is referenced, substitute =Sheet2!B1

Now, whenever a new Teacher is selected from the drop Down, their data attendance is plotted on the chart.

Cuts WAY DOWN on maintenance!

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red]
The band of elderly oriental musicians, known as Ground Cover, is, in reality...
Asian Jasmine![tongue][/sub]

Robert,

That worked just fine!

Thanks much!

Daniel

Skip,

I'll have to try your method. The people who dictate what kind of data we keep are a unique and somewhat strange breed. They like all those files!

Ever heard of Baldridge? Data, data, data!

Daniel

That's what happens when USERS dictate on technical issues. It almost ALWAYS ends up with WAY more wasted effort.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red]
The band of elderly oriental musicians, known as Ground Cover, is, in reality...
Asian Jasmine![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back