Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy Text Content of an Excel Cell 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgrogro

Technical User
Jan 8, 2005
US
Hi folks. I hope you can help. I have a spreadsheet with a list of file names Column B. The files themselves reside on a server. In column C, I have the path to the corresponding file on the server. The two cells are side by side in my spreadsheet. I'd like to be able to copy the contents of the cell in column C and use the path to set up the hyperlink for the file name in column B. In short, I am trying to put together a menu that will keep others from having to navigate to the root directory. The process works fine but is slow because I have to click on the cell on column C then hilight the text in the formula bar before pasting it into the hyperlink set-up menu. Is there a key command that will allow me to copy the text in column C so I can just paste it into the hyperlink menu? Just skipping a step or two would speed up this process as I have hundreds of these to link. A macro that I could use line-by-line to automate the copy and paste would be even better. VBA would be the ultimate, but beggars can't be choosers. Any advise would me greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Thanks Skip! I might have another use for that function. I didn't know it existed. I appreciate your help. I actually found another post that I have tried. The combination of the up arrow, the alt key, and the home key copies the contents of the cell instead of the cell itself. I think that with this, I can make a macro....we'll see. Have a great day and thanks again!

Another way you may try:
[pre]
B C D
File Name Server Path Link

1 SomeFile.txt \\svr5\Folder1 [blue] =HYPERLINK(C2 & "\" & B2,B2)[/blue]
2 ABC.pdf \\svr3\Sales
3 XYZ.jpg \\svrX\Empl\Photos
[/pre]

This above is how I understand your set up:
"list of file names Column B", "In column C, I have the path to the corresponding file on the server"

If you place a [blue](Blue)[/blue] formula in cell D2, you get the link to your file, and just the file name from B2 will be displayed. Copy cell D2 and paste it down the D column. :)

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back