Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy SQL Server DB, Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisM3

Programmer
Aug 21, 2003
US
I have an SQL Server Installation. I have to ship this server to customer's site, but I still need the database for testing. I have Sql Installed in another computer. What files do I need to copy to have an exact copy of what I already have?? (Database, Config Groups, etc).
Regards,
Dennis

The MDF and LDF files. Can be accomplished by a backup of the DB. You can also use sp_detach_db to detach the DB and Log file, copy them were needed, and the attach them back using sp_attach_db.

Thanks

J. Kusch

You might also wanna check if there are logins you need to create on your "new" server. Also take a look if there are no linked servers that exist (and thus have to be defined).
You might also wanna take a look at existing jobs and DTS packages. We even had a case where developers had added their own errormessages to the sysmessages table. Should that be the case, also copy those. Same goes for other stuff that's been added to e.g. the master on your server that needs to be shipped (a general purpose function or stored proc). I think that about covers all problems we ever encountered in doin' what you're about to do.
Greetings from Pat B-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back