Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy specific item from one list to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvi210

Technical User
Mar 6, 2012
US
I was able to set up a workflow to duplicate items i enter into one list appear in another by using the "Copy item in Current Item to List workflow. I would like the destination list (the duplicate list) to only copy a few important field such as "title" & "priority" for example. Any ideas how I can do this? i am using Sharepoint designer 2010.

Have you looked at the Create List Item action?

SharePoint-Create-List-Item-Action.png

List = name of the list you are wanting to append to.
From there, you can specify the fields you want to populate.

So I tried this, went to the list and tried to clicked to create a new workflow....Entered "Create item in List name and selected only the title to be populated. I published it and still everything gets copied. :(( am i doing something wrong?!

Note sure where you went wrong. Did you delete your other workflow?

I created two Lists, CopyFrom and CopyTo, and both have the same columns.

When I created a new item in CopyFrom, only the fields I designated were copied over to CopyTo. Notice that ExtraColumn is empty in CopyTo.

Example:

SharePoint-Create-List-Item-Action-2.png

SharePoint-Create-List-Item-Action-4.png

SharePoint-Create-List-Item-Action-5.png

SharePoint-Create-List-Item-Action-3.png

Yes i did delete the other workflow...do i need to have them both in place?

IT WORKED FINALLY!! THANKS!!! i think i was just doing something wrong the first time but the create item function you suggested worked perfectly! thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back