Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy, rename and move folder to diff destination by auto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiousintel

Technical User
Mar 25, 2004
IE
Hi all, my problem is that i take digital pictures and when i am out in the field i download my compact flash cards to a hard disk storage device, so i can wipe the cards and re-use them.

However this device (epson p2000) like all these hd devices cannot be recognised as a twain wia device. This means that when you connect the device by usb it is only recognised as an external hard disk and will not be recognised in "get photos" in software such as adobe elements organiser.

My problem has evolved from here, i want to find a piece of simple software that can improve my workflow by me identifying the source folder of the files, then identifying the destination of the files but the program automatically creating a folder named by date and time inside the destination folder and copying all the files there.

Photoshop elements and many other programs can do this with memory cards as they are twain wia devices and as such identified.

I have tried to find a software solution but there are many file renamer programs but none that copy folders to different destinations and auto creates the folder to whatever system of date or serial no.s you might want.

Thanking all in advance - please help!

This thread talks about setting a date in filename, perhaps it will offer some clues, if not a solution?

Xcopy help
thread779-1135780

The Syntax for Xcopy is in Help and Support.

Thanks for the post Linney but I'm looking for something with a nice simple GUI, something like adobe photoshop elements "get photos" section but without it having to identify the hard drive source as a twain compliant device. I want to use this each time and the source would be different every time so batch files etc.. i wana stay away from. Maybe you've come across some software that does this. Most auto photo/file downloaders must recognise the device.

To anyone looking for the same type of software - Check out Finepix viewer, it originally came with fuji digital cameras, it was designed before most cameras were twain compliant and as such its tranfer software relys on the user to browse to source files and a destination folder but it can create a destination folder in the previous folder with a date as a name automatically. However it will only work with picture files, jpeg bmp etc... I was originally looking for software to transfer any type of file based on an extension list as I use raw camera files .nef and these are not seen by the finepix viewer software. So I've reverted to jpegs temporarily and see how things go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back