Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy Records From one DB table to another Db Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

enbw

Technical User
Mar 13, 2003
Hi,

I am fairly new to progress.

We are running an application with uses the progress db 9.1. I have copied a blank database, all the tables and the schema is there. I want to copy tables from from our existing live system, basically master data, into the blank db/tables.

Is there any way to do this? The tables and fields are actually the same, I just want to populate the blank tables with the master data.

Thanks in advance

enbw,

do you have access to the progress handbook? you can use:
for each...
create...
end.
i also think that there is buffer copy if i remember correct.

hth

regards,

longhair

Use Progress Data Administrator to Dump the table contents (selection) from the first DB. Connect administrator to the second DB, and load the .d files in.

Chris

IT would be the perfect job......if it didn't have users!!!

Hi chris,

I have got access to the data administration tools, but it will allow me to dump field definitions and not table contents. Is this a license issue?

Thanks

I can't do it through the data administration tools but I can do it through using proutil dump and load.

Thanks

this should work. I have not tested this.

output to dest.
for each org.table no-lock:
export org.table.
end.
output close.

input from dest.
repeat:
create dest.table.
import dest.table.
end.
input close.

regards Gregor.