Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy protect

Status
Not open for further replies.

PankX

Programmer
May 10, 2002
ID
Any idea how to protect my program so it can be use in other computer ?

Thank's
Pram

What type of protection ?... low or hight protection ?

What part of you program are you trying to protect?
Source Code?
Database info?
With the existance of the program Refox. You will never be able to stop people from uncompiling your program.
There are database encription routines but again there are programs that unencript them.

So the answer is there is not much you can do to totaly secure your program from someone that wants in. But you can stop 99% of the population by giving them the FXP files instead of the PRG files.

David W. Grewe
Dave@internationalbid.com

I don't want someone copy my foxpro application program and then run it freely in their own computer

There is no perfect way of protecting your code, a determined hacker can bypass most any security scheme. The FoxPro first line of defense - ReFox branding can be broken with cheap and/or free tools. Even with Microsoft's resources, their new XP OS activation scheme based on "up to 10 hardware IDs" has been broken, so don't expect to find a really secure software technique.

It often comes down to price of the product, preceived value to the potential customers and amount of support required. If the price is too high, more people will likely try to use it for free. If continued use of the product requires updates (e.g. virus checkers, tax programs), then there is also more incentive to pay for the required support.

The "cheapest" hardware based solution is a dongle that must be present to run the software. Of course this does add cost and overhead to the product, it can irritate legitimate customers, and even it can be broken given the time and need by pirates.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back