Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy Profile to another computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sblanche

Technical User
Jun 19, 2002
US
I know how to copy a profile from one person to another on the same computer. What I need to do is copy a profile from one computer to another. (The group in charge of our network will not allow me to use Roaming Profiles.)

The reason--We have 25 new computers. In the past, what I did was make all the configuration settings and changes under my name on a template computer. Once that was done I would Ghost that computer to all of the other computers. I would have the user log in and then copy my profile to their profile. They would then have all of our office required settings. Now, the group in charge will no longer let us use Ghost. If I can't figure out how to do this, each time we get a new computer, or reimage a computer, we will have to do the settings individually. Any help would be greatly appreciated. SLB

You should be able to use the same copyto feature in system properties - just make the target the profile folder on the remote machine. You'll obviously need full permissions to the remote folder from your logon (is this domain or workgroup? - easier if domain - which from your 'can't use roaming profiles' comment, I would guess it is).

I have found an easy way to make sure every user gets the same profile on new pc's.

Create and configure a profile the way you want it. Now copy this profile to the Default User. Once this is done all you need to do is copy this updated Default User folder to any new pc and any user that logs on to that pc will have your configured profile.

You can do this for Windows XP to but remember to create a Default User profile on a Windows XP machine first.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

To add to Jump1ng's ost - you need to change the permissions on the profile to Full Access for Everyone as part of copying the profile, so that it will work correctly as a Default Profile.

Jump1ng,

that sounds like a great idea just 2 questions. If someone change the icons or background would it go back to the default profile next boot?

Also, how would you make the machine go to default user instead of there profile? for example they log on under user, so a profile user is created.

Malik
where your problems are our solutions!!

If they change their profile once its been creted it will stay changed.

The Default User profile is only used the first time a person logs on to the pc and it wil setup this user with the settings from the Default User profile.

If you need to lock the profile in place you would need to use Group Policy's through that you can specify back ground picture, screen savers etc.

But without this the user is free to change their profile.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back