Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copy / paste inserts icon not text

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonjarvis

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2003
GB
Hi,

If I copy data from one application, then open excel (or word) and paste the data into the now open application instead of the text etc. i actually get a little image (of a walkie talkie?) in the document.

If I open word/excel first (before copying to the clipboard) it pastes the data into the application as expected.

this is really bugging me, i have put up with it for ages but now i have had enough!!

Thanks

Have you tried PasteSpecial ??

Rgds, Geoff

Never test the depth of water with both feet

Help us to help you by reading FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

xlbo - when i do paste special i only get 2 options - paste bitmap & paste device independent bitmap (paste link is greyed out)
Simon

Hmmm - what app are you pasting FROM and what OS are you using ??

Rgds, Geoff

Geoff,
It doesn't seem to matter what i'm pasting from (but it's mostly from Cognos Impromptu to excel). Even if I paste from word to excel without opening excel first the same thing happens.
OS is w2000 pro.
SImon

I can't replicate the problem but I am on XP so it may well be a 2000 soecific issue - do you have all the available service packs ??

Rgds, Geoff

Geoff
Yep - all service packs/patches etc. for w2000 applied. Do you think it's likely to be an office problem? If so i suppose i ought to apply any office (2003) patches i can?
Simon

It would seem that it is an office issue rather than an application issue being as it happens in more than 1 app. I would therefore, see if there are any service packs for office 2000 that you do not have. Other than that, I'm afraid I am out of ideas although it could possibly be something to do with Cognos - maybe one of its dlls needs to know what applicaitons are currently running for it to be able to paste to other apps....???? just a stab in the dark...

Rgds, Geoff

Something else to note... We use Windows/Office 2000 and it has been our experience that as long as we keep both program windows maximized, the cut and paste works just fine, but if we minimize the program from which we are copying, it pastes into Excel as an icon.

Sounds like a 2000 bug - probably well worth a look around the MS Knowledgebase website to see if there are any articles about it

Rgds, Geoff

Hi Simon,

I think Excel uses the clipboard when loading, in effect destroying the information you were hoping to use.

Therefore open Excel before doing the copy/paste.

I did this quick test.
Open the clipboardviewer, I found this under Accesories > System tools. (clipbrd.exe)
Copy a bit of info and it should appear in the viewer.
Now open Excel and watch all the pictures flash through. Leaving, in my case, an i in a speech bubble.

FYI I have XL2K and W2K.

Cheers
Andy

Thanks Andy I have tried what you described & exactly the same happens (w2000, office 2003) - does anyone know a way you can stop this happening?
Simon

If excel uses the clipboard whilst opening, I very much doubt it - you could have alook into the opeining "switches" you can apply - see if any of them stop it using the clipboard.

Enter "switch" into the help answer wizard and choose "customise how excel starts"

Rgds, Geoff

OK i know it's a while since i originally posted this but i thought you might be interested - upgraded to office 2003 last week (mainly so i could take advantage of outlook 2003) and discovered that the clipboard is not cleared by opening excel 2003. So my problem has gone away :)

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back