Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy or Move AD domain to test lab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2000
US
I've got the following Windows 2003 domain hierarchy:
Top level Root.currentdomain.com in Forest#1
Domain#1 - no AD objects
Total DC's = 2 (virtual)
Domain#2 - all AD objects
Total DC's = 8
Domain#3
Total DC's = 2 (virtual)
Child domain to be collapsed into an OU

Top level Root.newdomain.com in Windows 2003 R2 Forest#2
Domain1

I need to migrate Domain#2 into the new forest#2 root.newdomain.com. Before performing the actual migration I'd like to set up a test lab using a DC containing the AD from the forest#1 "currentdomain". I've done the following:
1. "dcpromo" a member server making it a DC - GC in the current domain and allow full replication of all objects.

So far I've come across a few suggestions which include seizing the FSMO roles, performing a system state restore, or performing a bulk export of all AD objects using ldifde. I've also been reading up on the domain renaming tools for server 2003. Back in the NT4.0 days you'd simply set up a BDC, allow replication, take it offline, add it to its new subnet, and then promote it to a PDC. I'm not interested in seizing FSMO roles for obvious reasons and I have performed a system state backup of one of my DC's. Having said that I'm wondering if anyone would have any additional pointers, suggestions, or directions with step-by-step instructions for doing this? Even though I have virtual servers I honestly don't want to use them for this project. The request is for physical representation of domain#2.

Any responses appreciated.

ADMT - Active Directory Migration Tool

This is a Microsoft tool - google it for the latest download link from MS.

It has several options to copy various groups of objects. Current is version 3.

I'm familiar with this tool and will be using the quest tool for "migrating" migrating my domain into the new forest. What I'm working on is creating a test domain that will allow me to test and document the migration without affecting production.

thanks

I still think ADMT is going to be your best bet. It is non-destructive to the source domain. You can copy your existing domain as is and then work on your migration strategy.

The bulk export that you mentioned is basically what ADMT does but you get the import and the nice wrapper around the tool.

From the ADMT 3.0:

Developing a Migration Test Plan
ADMT v3 does not include a test migration option which was available in previous versions of ADMT. Develop a test plan to assist you in systematically testing each object after it is migrated to the new environment, and identifying and correcting any problems that might occur...

I'd probably have to check the older versions.

thnks

If it were me, I'd do this entire in the virtual world. Use the VMWare Converter to "copy" all of your AD servers to a virtual environment, and do the process from there. The beauty of it? If it goes wrong, you shut it down, copy the server again, and start over in a matter of minutes.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

I think I'll end up with a virtual environment as I'll need to also have exchange included in this test bed. I honestly believe that there's only so much you can test in a virtual world and since I have a few resources to play with I'd prefer to have both environments in place.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back