Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy of Non Deliverable Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick26

MIS
Oct 5, 2002
NL
Is it possible in Exchange 2003 to have a copy of all mail to non-existing e-mail addresses send to a mailbox or public folder. We had this configured in 5.5. NDR's are already sent to a mailbox, but not a copy of the original mails. Thanks.

Of course, you open Properties of the Default Virtual SMTP server, you enter an address in 'Send Non-delivery ..' field.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

With that option I just get a copy of the Non-Delivery-Report (NDR), but not the original mail that could not be delivered.
I want to turn off sending non-delevirey reports to prevent getting spam, but I want to be able to check if the message should be delivered to another account in our company (e.g. when customers send orders but have made a typing error).

Why do the work for them? They will keep on using the wrong address, people tend to be lazy.
If you get the copy, you can also reply to that customer and provide them with a correct address. That saves you from doing it over and over again.

You can also go and check the badmail folders, that is where these mails end up.

Alternatively, you would have to capture each and every mail, but that is a different matter, as provacy regulations can be breached.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

oops
'provacy' should have been 'privacy'.

We finally figured it out! Using the non-delivery reports you can re-send e-mails, to any account.
Procedure:
1. all NDR are sent to a 'postmaster' mailbox
2. the postmaster's e-mail is scanned for important mails
3. for these mails a correct recepient is determined
4. NDR-mail is opened and re-send to that recepient
Using an Outlokk rule you can filter-out most important mails already.

This confuses our users. All NDRs get sent to me. I re-send the message to the correct recipient. I then get a phone call asking "who did the original message come from?"

I preferred the old method in 5.5.

You could eliminate that in time, by not passing it on to the user, but replying to the sender and giving them the correct address.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
[/sub]
Have a look at the shop @ !

I am trying to run an smtp on my server and send mail through a php page. Well teh page works properly and send it.... but the SMTP server keeps it in the badmail folder.... any Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back