Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy Of an MS Access and repopulate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
May 8, 2000
US
Could you please tell me how to copy an MS Access database.
Actually, I need to have the same queries, the same reports the same forms. The data will be totally different. I make a copy of my old database and rename it. I opened the new table to check the rows, it is obvilously the same. I deleted one row in my new database. when I opened the old database, the same row has been deleted. Could you help me please.
Thanks you.
KYAL

One method, if it's not too much of a pain, is to create a new db and export everything to it. When you export a table, it asks whether you want to export structure and data, structure only, or data only.
Rather than making Copy Of, just copy and paste with a new name. Then, remove all the tables and import them from the original db. Again, you can import structure only.
There's an idea.

Thank you for your help. But can I process the same for the queries and the forms and the reports from the old database to the new one?
I appreciate.
kyal

What do you mean by process the same? You can export them as well if that's what you mean. Since data is only in tables, you can export everything else as is. If you export table structure only, then queries, etc., will still work the same but with different data. Same type of data, but different actual data.
Hope this answers your question. Not sure if I understand you correctly.

Thank you TrojanRabbit
I have a database with tables, queries, forms and report.
these tables are populated and the reports give info form this database.
I want to have the same table structure, the same queries, the same forms and the same reports. the info in the database will be different.
If I understood, I open my old database (database screen) and export it. BY doing that, I will have the same database, and i can do what ever I want (delete or add rows...).
AM i wright?
Thank you very much for your help.
kyal

IT WOULD BE BETTER TO SPLIT YOUR DATABASE SO YOU HAVE YOUR DATA IN ONE AND FORMS MODULES, REPORTS AND SO ON IN ANOTHER, THEN EXPORT DEFINITIONS ONLY OF YOUR DATABASE CONTAINING YOUR DATA TO USE IT AS A MASTER COPY SO WHEN YOU NEED AN EMPTY DATABASE YOU COPY THE MASTER GIVING IT A NEW NAME (USE COMPACT FOR THAT ISSUE) AND THEN LINK TO THE FILES OF THIS NEW DATABASE, YOU NEED TO USE A TABLE IN THE DATABASE CONTAINING THE CODE ETC TO KEEP TRACK OF THE DATABASES YOU CREATE HOW THEY ARE CALLED AND WHERE THERE ARE TO ALLOW YOU TO RELINK TO ANY OF THEM WHEN YOU NEED, OF COURSE YOU MUST DO ALL OF THAT PROGRAMATICALLY BUT DON'T WORRY TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO MORE THAN A LITTLE RESEARCH, THESE IS BETTER THAN MAKE A COPY OFF YOUR CODE AND DATA EACH TIME.

If you're going to keep making copies, FMAQ's suggestion is a good one. If you're only going to do it once, just copy/paste the file. Then, open the new one, remove the tables, and import the table structures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back