Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy multiple partion hard drive to single partion HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco500

Technical User
Jul 29, 2005
US
I have a second, 40G HD, in my PC which is almost at max capacity. I just bought a new 200G HD that I want to use as my second HD. The old 40G HD was partitioned into 3 parts which show up as G,H, and I drives. I don’t want to partition my new HD. Is there any easy way to copy over the 3 separate partitions all onto the 1 new HD partition?

I'd just create 3 folders (called part1, part2, part3 for example) on the new drive and use copy/paste or just right click drag each drive onto folder for the complete contents of each current partition to equivalent folder (just make sure show hidden files is turned on). I'm assuming its just data in these partitions (not system files or apps).

No there are some installed apps on these drives.

Not sure if this will work, but...

Copy across into the three folders as Wolluf suggested. Now try using the SUBST command to allocate a drive letter to each folder, e.g.:-

SUBST J: C:\PART1

SUBST K: C:\PART2

SUBST L: C:\PART3

The SUBSTituted drive letter will need to match the original drive letter that was being used.

Good luck!

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Well, if one of your 3 mentioned partitions contains OS and you want to transfer it use some hard disk cloning software> that allows you create exact image of system partition (let's assume here that it's "G") and restore it to new hard disk (also, let's assume here that it's temporary will be "J"). Then simply copy all folders from 2 other partitions (H, I) to "J", and make appropriate logical drive letters exchange (for example: "G" -> "K", "J" -> "G").
If your other 2 partitions contain apps, it would be bit harder to correctly perform all transfers (you need to update all INI files and Registry settings), and this requires more information for discussion (which partitions contains apps?).
(But, IMHO, if you do not planning to use this partitions for the data of same kind (such as multimedia files only, for example :)) I would recommend you to break apart your new HDD to several partitions - look for reasons at this <hdd]partitioning article>).

Hook the new drive as first (boot) IDE drive and the old (40 gb) as second IDE drvie.

grap a copy of ghost (ver 6 or 7 will do) and run it from DOS after booting from a bootable floppy.

Choose the ghost from disk to disk option and it will allow you to resize each partition.

After ghosting is finished, you'll have 3 partitions on the new drive with new sizes you specified during ghosting. The windows and programs should run as before.

Marco500,
I would do as wolluf has suggested and then re-install any problem apps as they become apparent and re-target any shortcuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back