Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copy/move files in e-portfolio

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwolds

Programmer
Aug 6, 2002
GB
Hi,

Enterprise 8.5 on sql sever 2000. when I try to copy/move files in e-port. I get the message below:

'Error message.

There was an error retrieving data from the server: Object doesn't support this property or method '

I can copy/move file fine in the management console. Any ideas?

Thanks

Jon

Check in the CMC that the object,folder and user have the ability to copy and move stuff around.

Thanks for the quick response.

The general users are set up on view access.

I have administrator rights but cannot copy/move within e-portfolio. What exactly should i be checking?

In the CMC, go to the Rights tab of the source and destination folder.

You should see, in the right hand side, the column "Net Access". Click on the level, and ensure that necessary rights like "Add objects to the folder", and "Copy objects to another folder" have been implicitly - or explicitly granted.

Naith

Thanks,

If I can get myself to be able to copy/move within e-port then I can sort the other users.

I have full control to the folder which contains the report, the report itself and full control to the user folder. But I am still receiving the same error.

I have managed to save a report to my favourites folder by saving it though crystal managent into my user folder.

Any more thoughts would be much appreciated.

Jon

When you explicitly grant the rights on top of your full control, do you still encounter this problem?

Naith

I changed the administrators group from full control to advanced rights with all options explicitly granted.

But the problem still remains.

Do you know if this is a localised issue or an enterprise 8.5 bug?

Thanks again

Jon

We reinstalled Enterprise on the advice of crystal decisions but to no avail. Could it be a setting in sql server or maybe on the server tab in enterprise?

Its very strange. It works in the managment console but not in e-port.

Hmmm, are you logging into ePortfolio as the Administrator and trying it?

What happens if you try the CSP Query Builder on the default <server>/crystal/enterprise page?

Does sound very peculiar...

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

I have logged on to e-port both as Enterprise and NT adminstrator accounts.

I'm not sure what you want me to do with CSP Query Builder but i ran a query which returned all reports.

I know the error that I am getting existed in Enterprise 8 but apparantly has been fixed?

Is the folder that you are having problems with a child of another folder? If so, perhaps the parent folder (or one of it's parents) has the rights configured as &quot;No Access&quot;.

I am having the problem with all folders including the favorites folder.

I've got the same problem, your not alone on this one!

We have installed several lots of Crystal, all to the same instructions. The first 3 sites went in fine, the 4th does everything you say yours does and fails on copy/delete/move etc. It also wont let us schedule to an unmanaged disk location. We also tried a re-install to no avail.

Because the same installation has worked in 3 other countries/servers i think that maybe the problem is specific to the server hardware config. I'm running W2000 server and SQL2000. Its the same as one of the other installation servers so i dont think it is hardware spec.

If you get any answer on this one let me know. I'll do the same for you!

Cheers
Tim

P.S. I have a call open with Crystal tech support, they are scratching their heads too!

timbouk2002, was the installation performed by a Windows user with Administrator rights? And was this a single server installation where by you installed all components (especially the Input FRS) directly onto a local harddrive?

And just a reminder, whenever reinstalling be sure to remove all Crystal programs as well as MSDE before attempting the reinstall.

I went through this same thing with Crystal and support. Went through the NTFS permissions pdf they have and that didn't correct it either. Uninstalled CE and the MSDE, deleted both folders, rebooted, reinstalled problem solved.

I have had a number of problems with my Crystal implementation on 8.0, far less since moving to 9.0. The one thing that I noticed in 8.0 that may be persistant to 8.5 was that in the CMC if you make too many server config changes back to back it really seems to get confused. All of the sudden there will be unrecoverable problems. I found that with any changes I was better to make and wait a bit. I actually started monitoring the CPU to see when it relaxed.

Note on the 9.0 reinstall, it give you an option to recreate the database so you don't have to uninstall MSDE

--Guyute

Badstink: The installation was performed by a full domain admin. It is standalone with everything installed onto local drives on that server. Everything about the Crystal installation is a direct mirror of previous installs. This is what leads me to point the finger at the Win 2000 / IIS config.

Guyute97: Thanks for the info, i'm not sure i'm in a position to uninstall MSDE remotely (the installation is in Switzerland) as im fairly sure it will trash the accounts system which is running on the same box. I really need a fix that is based on the specific problem and a specific fix rather than a generic re-install. Thanks all the same, i will keep this one as my last option though... i really dont want a trip out there at the moment.

(P.S. The accounts system does not clash with Crystal as has been proven by the previous installs).

Cheers

Switzerland. Well then it would be good for you to know that you can use Remote Desktop to install MSDE if it comes to that. You must be logged in on the local machine.

What a P.I.T.A. I was workin remotely and had to make a late night 45 min commute to fix.

--Guyute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back