Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy local profile to domain profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanwan

ISP
Dec 2, 2002
US
Is there a tool that will transfer your local profile in XP to a domain profile smoothly? I believe just copying and pasting the profile does not work flawlessly. Thanks in advance.

Method 1
Pay special attention as to what not to copy:

Method 2
A variation of this KB article:
Method 3
Logon as the new domain user and logoff. This creates the profile shell.

Logon as administrator as a local console logon.

Start, Run, CMD
c:
cd \documents and settings
Rename johnDoe.domain johnDoe.bak
Rename johnDoe johnDoe.domain

Are you talking about a roaming profile - so you'd want to copy the local profile to a location on the server? You can use the copyto feature (system properties, advanced, user profiles button) on the XP machine - browse to server folder to copy to) for this.

If its just the local copy of domain profile, bcastner's given you some things to try - I'm not sure if the copyto feature would work copying the local profile over the local copy of the domain profile on the same machine.

i see the files you are not supposed to copy....it seems i have 2 nt user dat files. one located in subfolder _vti_cnf and one in the user folder.

ive skipped copyinh the _vti_cnf folder because it contains these files

Which one do I not transfer? Ive tried this several ways to no avail...anyone have any help?

When I use this method, certain programs dont work. helppppp :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back