Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy LCR 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputTech

Technical User
Feb 6, 2009
RS
Hi all,

Does anybody had tried if copying LCR database, and logs to another server (example, if the other server is installed using RecoverServer switch) in case of failur will work. It would be very easy to restore.

Regards.

Why would you want to do that? SCR would be so much simpler.

I want it only in case of disaster to make LCR in RAID1 so I can just swap drive and copy/paste.

I don't understand. LCR is to make a simultaneous copy of your Exchange database on the local machine in case of corruption of the live copy of the database.

SCR is log shipping to a standby server in the case of server failure.

CCR is log shipping to a passive node for high availability in the case of server failure.

RAID1 allows you to swap drivesw with no downtime and I don't get the reference to copy/paste.

Let's simplify.

In case of Server total failure, and we assume only RAID1 LCR database, and logs are saved, can I use those copies of Database, and logs to start normal operations in the recovered server?

Are you using 2 handles? If not, I'm REALLY confused.

LCR is nothing to do with RAID1. LCR is a parallel copy on the same server. You'd have a second copy of the store on another set of spindles. In the event of the master copy's disk failing beyond tolerance, you'd use the LCR copy.

When you bring another server into the equation, use SCR.

Yes, I'm using separate RAID configuration for both databases, and I don't want to create SCR, but only in event of failure to use LCR copy for faster recovery.

So the only time you would need to use another server is when that server fails rather than the hard drives of one copy of the stores.

In that instance, LCR will need a good deal of downtime and faffing. SCR will have you up and running in a minute, CCR will have you up and running before you realise you are down.

What's the reasoning behind not implementing SCR?

I tried now locally to create LCR in a test machine, and I can see that not all files are copied from Main DB to LCR, and I manually copied files and DB of LCR to main DB, it couldn't connect. Is anything wrong I'm doing, or simply it doesn't work.

What do you mean "not all files are copied from Main DB to LCR"?

and why did you copy files from LCR copy to main DB?

Exchange 2007 SP1 RU5. You point at your main DB in EMC and make a local copy. That's it.

I was comparing logs between main DB, and LCR. In LCR folder logs were 2-3 files less. If I'm not wrong these files are E00.log, E00tmp.log, and tmp.edb (I'll check on Monday to be sure).
If I removed DB, and Log Files in main DB, and copied from LCR, I couldn't mount DB. If I copy these 3 files missing, than it could be mounted. Maybe it is normal why these files are not copied there. Is it possible to mount in this case DB using any switch eseutil.

Thank you for trying to help, and very sorry for all this confusion.

The original message mentions copying an LCR copy of a db to another server. I'll make it easy - not supported. LCR is for database failures only. Not server failures.

When moving to an LCR copy of a database, there is no "copying". It's a simple EMC command or a PowerShell command. Simple as that (although it's one way - if you still want LCR after that, you have to configure it again).

If you want to restore to another server, SCR is the designed (and supported) method, as Zelandakh said.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back