Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copy inbox from exhange server to client

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumbles

Technical User
Oct 25, 2002
US
At least I think that describes what I want to do. If at all possible I would like to avoid pst.

The problem is this. I keep running out of space on the exchange server. Naturally I want to keep all that mail. What I want is to have a copy of that on the client that I can use in Outlook(XP) and then delete the mail that is on the server to make room for more. I think I am asking the question in the right way. Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

I think your going to have to pst it.
Sounds like using the offline feature in outlook.

What about archiving mail?

Dean

forum.gif
Dean

How about increasing the disk space on yur Exchange server? Disks are cheaper and bigger than they've ever been, and leaving the mail on the Exchange server makes most sense in terms of storage efficiency (single instance storage), security (a pst can be hacked by anyone in the know within a few seconds) and reliability (nightly online backups with free database integrity checks built in!).

Admins won't let me have anymore server room, which I don't mind and have no problem with.

Archiving would let me keep them for sure. But I was looking for a way to make Outlook use local folders for the contents of those archives.

Outlook's local folders are PSTs. Have the admins stopped you from creating PSTs as well??

Um, dunno zbnet. Haven't tried that. I wanted to get a better handle on things before I start poking things with a stick and call them to fix my screw ups :)

When I get a chance, will look.

Outlook's autoarchive folder settings automatically archive items that meet the criteria you set to local PST files. It is possible (via registry setting) to disable the local creation of PST files, otherwise you should be able to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back