Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy Hard Drives in Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

micker377

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
I would like to put a larger HDD in my Gateway Solo 2500. I have managed to copy info from older Laptop HDD's, but I don't know if they make an adapter for this tiny thing. Laptop HDD's don't have master/slave.

Adapter for what ?
An adapter for an external Harddrive or just some thing to make it possible to copy file to your laptop ???
If you just wants files copyed you can do it through the parallel port , seriel port , USB or Netcard with a suitable cable (PC to PC) and a program like FastLynx :

Note : do NOT attempt to use standard USB cables it must be made for PC to PC transferrence (got some electronics built in)

Regards

Haven't seen that hard drive, but if it has a 46 pin interface there is an adapter that will allow you to put it on a system with 40 pin IDE cables.
Do a google search for "hard drive adapter". You should hit several.

That will allow you to shuffle data around.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

My bad - ignore everything! After removing the HDD from the laptop I found that it is the same pinout as the old style. What threw me off is the size of the drives (old style is 19mm thick and the new one is only 9.5 mm thick. Add that to the hidden mounting of the new one. I did what I tell everyone else (RTFM), and found the specs of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back