Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy files server to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoySmith

Technical User
Apr 11, 2001
GB
A customer of mine uses the copy function of arcserve but for some reason has now installed veritas. He wants the functionality of the copy but does not want to upgrade his old arcserve to arcserve 7/2000. Is there any utilities around that can do the same copy from the server. Looked at toolbox but support for long file names is not there.

Any suggestions? Lee Smith
Xenon Network Services
Snr. Technical Support
LSmith@xenon-uk.co.uk

Does the utility NCOPY offer some help. This is the copy command which is included in Netware itself.
Otherwise I have heard of a utitity TCOPY which is able to perform the same task. This utility is available at the Novell cool solution site. ( and search for cool solutions or tcopy).

Greetz.
Eric

There is also NWCOPY whcih i believe is an NLM. you can then use the built-in NetWare utility CRON to schedule it to run automatically. Joshua Rothschild
j.rothschild@dynamode.com

And where do I find this little beauty of an nlm? Lee Smith
Xenon Network Services
Snr. Technical Support
LSmith@xenon-uk.co.uk

Use the toolbox NLM from Novell. That can copy from server to server with authentication (encrypted) and, if you want, timecontroled by the cron NLM.

Ingo Hiepler

Thanks all. Lee Smith
Xenon Network Services
Snr. Technical Support
LSmith@xenon-uk.co.uk

Is it possible to have 2 novell servers connected to each other using the cron utility to copy files from server to server?

Can you explain yourself further please? In theory, two servers on a network are "connected"

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

I have a novell 5.1 server running on my network and i have an identical server which is my fail safe backup with the same os, ip address and server name. Want to know if i can have them on the same network if i change the name and ip address just to run a utility to keep the backup stay up to date with the live server.

Well in my opinion, you would be better off building the server from scratch and inserting it into your Tree with it's own unique details if you wanted to go down this route. Otherwise you would have to consider changing the IP Address and Server Name as you have already mentioned, but also the Server ID too, and if it has the DS information from your mainserver on it as well, you would have to scrub this and decide whether it is to go into your main Tree or a separate tree. Even if you copy the data, you still have the file rights to consider too as well as any replica information contained on your main server also.

If you are serious about this, it may be worth looking at Clustering...

"It's true, its damn true!"

rsync them
there is a cool solution doc on it
it's simply and it delta sync's - so it's quick as hell

the server migration tool does this very fast, supports long file names and maintains proper trustee relationships etc. afaik you can't script it, but if you have a lot of data to move, this is (IMHO) the best way to do it. The jobs you create get saved so re-running a job is pretty easy and it can be set to just do the delta. throughput is smoking. try it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back