Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy files from dead system 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisCalvert

Technical User
Mar 18, 2002
US
I have a friend who's XP install is getting stop error :UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I've read all about it and I none of the solutions with CHKDSK or the like work. I hooked it up to my own working system and I can see most files, but the ones she really wants are in her My Documents folder, and I get access denied. SO, my question is this, is there any way I can copy the files in that MY Documents? I am trying to use NTFSDOS PRO but the XCOPY command does not work (bad command or file name) and there is an awfully awfully awful lot to copy dir by dir. If you know some other command to use that copys subdirectories, some way to overried the access denied in XP, or some other program or method to try, I'd appreciate your advice.

297185 - "STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message When You Restart Your Computer or Upgrade to Windows XP

Unmountable_Boot_Volume in WIN XP Pro
thread779-436409

315403 - Stop 0x000000ED Error Message When Volume on IDE Drive with Caching Enabled Is Mounted

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Thanks for the information!
Bcastner, that worked perfectly. I knew I should be able to re-set the security on the folder, but I just didn't see it.
Before I format and re-install I will read the links linney gave me more completely, but they mostly looked like the CHDSK and FIXBOOT stuff I have already tried.
Anyway, I got my (friends) files, Tek-Tips comes through again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back