Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy existing DC at new office location

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbxman

MIS
May 10, 2001
US
Hello - we're moving to a new office and we're buying all new hardware to setup a parallel environment to test before we move. My question involves our existing domain controller.

What is the best way to "copy" our existing DC at the new location for testing? The servers at the new location must all have the same names as our current location so I can't have these two networks connected, but we do need to test with an office in another state who has a DC that is in an OU in our current forest.

What is te best way to do this? I was thinking a WAN link VPNing to our current DC and replicate to the new DC but isn't that going to cause problems having all the same server names? I'm not an AD guru obviously so I could use some guidance with regards to how to set up the new DC for testing then what do I do when it's time to shut down the old office and start business in the new one? This new office does need to be connected with the office in another state who is currently on the same domain we are so I can't fully isolate this parallel environment.

Thank you!

pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

I think that's not a very good idea to even attempt. Why not move everything as-is and then upgrade piece by piece? Then you have more control and less chaos vs. having to have everything migrated and work at the flick of a switch. Plus, as you said, you can't link systems with the same names.

You can however, clone your server to different hardware with a backup tool that allows restore to dis-similar hardware. Then you could test it all out while DISconnected from the other office.

Moving everything as-is is the "flick of a switch" method. We're migrating to all new hardware and essentially walking away from our old office leaving all of the old equipment behind. This way, we can be setup and testing a month before the scheduled move date and will have plenty of time to address problems. The only "gotcha" is that domain controller.

pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

I'm still going through college, but dealing with a similar situation.

It's best to start from scratch is what I'm finding out so far!

Creating Users/Groups and moving Computers through the Tree isn't hard! Creating new GPO's isn't all that bad either!

The most difficult thing I'm dealing with now is removing/remaking a DNS within the DC. An here's the kicker, same setup, just ditching an older server with 2003 and implementing two new (one backup, unlike not having a backup) servers with 2008. Same users, computers, new Domain Name (shorter) and trying to get it in KISS mode!

I'll check back and she how things are going for you, but like I said, I'm in a similar situation, but if I can help at all, I will!

Well, unless somebody else has a brilliant idea, I'd say cloning it to the new hardware right before you leave is the only way to do it. This doesn't give you testing time though. That's a unique situation you're in. Most people move everything they have to keep continuity and then start upgrading. There's enough of a challenge in THAT, believe me.

If the two sites are not going to see each other then just virtualise everything and stick it on Vmware of Hyper V at the new office.

once the first office shuts down just setup the VPN to the new office from your branch office and all will be well (IP addresses should be the same anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back