Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy directories from one SCO OpenServer machine to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

systemsadmin3000

Technical User
Sep 8, 2005
TT
I have a production server running SCO OpenServer. I also have a backup server for this production server. How do I backup/cop certain directories from my production server to my backup server? The directories will be in the same location on both servers.

How big are the directories? How would you want to physically transfer them? And how often?

I have several customers with the setup, although the backups are not kept up to date. My transfer are handled through burnable CD and backup edge software. At 3:15 every night the application programs and date are backed up to a working location on a separate hard drive. At 4:15 this backup is converted to an ISO image, and at 5:15 it is burned to CD. Later it is moved to a different area of the backup hard drive.

Restoration to the backup server is handled by copying the burned stuff to the backup location on the backup machine and restoring.

My customers get daily reports of the backup in the first step and know to call if it gets an error. I check weekly to make sure the backups are happening and that the CDs are burning correctly.

There are other ways this could be done but the customers and I have agreed that this is best for us. Replacing a crashed system requires a physical change due to serial based equipment. Reverting to 4AM on the replacement machine requires about 20 minutes after I walk in the door.

Thanks for your reply.

The directories are about 200MB in size. We want to copy the data accross our 2MB fiber link to our backup server at another location. We want to do this on a nightly basis.
Is there any script I can run?

You should probably employ "rsync". I'm just starting to play with it, so maybe others here can give better information on it's use and configuration.

In the mean time, what I typically do is pretty simple. First, you have to establish "user equivalency" for root between the two machines. (Let me know if you need help with that). Then, on SystemB (the receiving system), create a little script called /usr/local/bin/get.SystemA
Contents of that script:
umask 0
cd /usr2
tar xf -

Make sure the script is executable.
Now, on SystemA, run these commands:
# umask 0
# cd /usr2
# tar cvf - .|rcmd SystemB /usr/local/bin/get.SystemA

Of course, you'll need to modify the directory to suit your needs, but you can see the process. If you have LoneTar (or some other tar with compression), you can speed this up by compressing the info before it is transferred.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

You could also use a ftp compatible backup software such as Microlite to acomplish your task.
I have several clients that do their backups in this manner, and if the receiving system is also a UNIX system, then setting it up is quite easy when using Microlite.

Joe

We do this all the time using rcp. Create a user on each server who has access to the source and destination directories. Give it the same password on each server. Add each server to the other server's /etc/hosts.equiv. Create an rcp script and call it manually or from cron.

rcp -rp prodserv:/usr/app/* backserv:/usr/app

Systemadmin 3000
Please also look at TA# 125883 on SCO Knowledge Base
web site . It discusses this issue of file transfer between two Unix machines on the same network. I hope this will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back