Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy directories (+ contents) with WILDCARDS in source dir name

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvanos

MIS
Jun 6, 2002
BE
Robocopy, XCOPY and all that stuff apparently refuse to accept wildcards in the source directory.
I am looking for a way to copy entire directories, of which the names start with a certain pattern.
This implies the use of a wildcard.
e.g. Robocopy d:\data\ABC* d:\test\ /s

The idea being that any directories within d:\data of which the name is starting with "ABC", would be copied into d:\test\
Including any files or subdirectories that may reside within those ABC-directories.

It is my impression that all copy-utilities only accept wildcards on filename level, but refuse accepting wildcards on the level of directory names.

Any ideas or suggestions ?

If I am not mistaken the correct robocopy syntax is as follows;

robocopy d:\data d:\test ABC*.* /s

Hope this helps.

This would only copy any FILES starting with "ABC".
I really want all files (no filter on those), but residing within the DIRECTORIES with names starting with "ABC

FOUND IT!
No xcopy, xxcopy, robocopy... but a simple .VBScript !
For the example in my first post, this would look like:

Const OverWriteFiles = True
Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
objFSO.CopyFolder "D:\Data\ABC*" , "D:\test" , OverWriteFiles[/color green]

Simply cut-and-paste into Notepad, save as .txt file with extension .vbs, and execute it.

Note: the destination directory needs to exist already, or a message is returned "Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Path not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back