Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy directly from Excel into TOAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

barnard90

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2005
US
Hi

Is there a way , I can directly copy from Excel into TOAD ?
( No code need to be involved )
I have the employee data ( Emp_id, Emp_name ,Sal, Dept, Loc) in 5 fields for 500 rows in Excel
It is in the same order as that in the Oracle Table (Emp)
Can I directly copy the data in TOAD . Please suggest

Barnard,

Can you please assert your objective with your question? Is your objective to load 500 row of EMPLOYEE data into an Oracle table, or is your objective to discover ways to copy and paste Excel data into TOAD?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

I need a way to copy data from Excel into Oracle ( with out any code )
Right now , I need it for this table for 500 rows

barnard,

this is slightly off thread, since it's a TOAD question, but I doubt there's a TOAD forum.

From the database menu, select import, then table data.

choose the object name (in your case emp) and then click on 'execute wizard'. A dialogue box will appear, select xls files, and then navigate to your file.

Job done.

Regards

Tharg

Grinding away at things Oracular

Santa,

sorry for the cross post there, you slipped in a bit too quickly for me!

T

Grinding away at things Oracular

Since I am not a TOAD user, I cannot speak for how to do that.

I can, however, say that in Excel, you can create a ".csv" file that you then import into your table using SQL*Loader. Given that you create a comma-separated-values (.csv) file named "excel_employee_data.csv", and if you surround all of the values with double quotes, then here are the SQL*Loader commands to accommodate your 500-row comma-separated import:
Code:
<o/s prompt> sqlldr <sql-loader-commad-file.fil>

(contents of <sql-loader-commad-file.fil>):
load data
infile "excel_employee_data.csv" replace
into table employee
fields terminated by '"'
(
EMP_ID
,EMP_NAME
,SAL
,DEPT
,LOC
)
Let us know if this is helpful.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

I also use Query Builder for this process. You can save your excel file without column headers as a .slk file. Then open the Oracle table in Query Builder with only the columns you want populated (in the same order as the spreadsheet). Then turn on the data editor, select edit, insert rows from file, pick the right file type and load. The you just commit your changes. As you can see, I don't have access to SQL loader.
Melinda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back