Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy Data from Access Table A to Access Table B 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durdles

MIS
Dec 31, 2002
US
Hello!

I am wondering if there is a way to copy all the data from Table A and paste it into an identically structured Table B within the same database using a macro.

To explain the application of the process, my database manages Project Data and all Projects have an identical set of base records. What I want to do is take the 'template' records from Table A and copy them into my 'active' Table B when a new project is created. When I use the Transfer Database macro, it simply creates a new table (TableB1).

I'm able to figure things out in Access, so I am not looking for exact code, just some direction on whether this can be done and what approach I need to take.

Thank you,
Brian

Create a query, turn it into an append query and put in the name of the target table when Access asks you.

Of course!! Thanks so much. That's the shove I needed.

Hi. This is my first post to Tek-tips, so I apologize in advance if this has been covered in the past. I couldn't find anything when I searched...

I've also been attempting to append one table to another, but I don't know how to handle the linking because all the records are unique.

Example: I have 2 tables A, and B, each containing 10 unique records each. I create an Append Query to add the records from B to A. The problem is, The query attempts to append 100 records instead of 10. I believe ALL the records from B are appended for EACH record in A.

I hope that made sense... How do I go about avoiding this? Thanks for the help!!

sm31 - try this:

INSERT INTO TABLEA (SELECT * FROM TABLEB)

this will insert all the records from tableB into tableA.

HTH

leslie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back