Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy cell value to empty cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulette33

Technical User
Mar 15, 2002
US
Hi -

I have a column with a series of values and empty cells in between. When I find a cell with value and empty cells following, I want to copy that value into the empty cells. I need to do this for the entire column. What is the easiest way to do this without have to manually autofill or copy and paste.

I've gotten a Do Loop to cycle through the cells looking for the empty cell and can copy that until it reaches the next cell with value. But, how do I get it to continue until it has gone through the entire column?

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance!

A starting point (for column A):
Sub myAutoFill()
Dim i As Long, x
With ActiveSheet
x = .Cells(1, 1)
For i = 2 To .UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell).Row
If Trim(.Cells(i, 1) & "") = "" Then
.Cells(i, 1) = x
Else
x = .Cells(i, 1)
End If
Next
End With
End Sub

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

If I'm understanding you right, there should be no need for VBA at all...

Select the entire column (or range desired)
Press F5 | Special | Blank cells
Hit the = sign
Press the Up Arrow
Hit Ctrl + Enter

To leave them as values you must select the entire column, press Ctrl + C, then Alt + E, S, V. If you have other formulas in the column then you probably don't want to do that, but you can't copy/paste values to a non-contiguous range.

HTH

-----------
Regards,
Zack Barresse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back