Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copy between two HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

kreimar

Programmer
Nov 23, 2000
ES
Usually I make a copy of my data to another hard disk using Windows Explorer.

When the copy starts, the operating system find files that are copied in days ago. In these the S.O. ofer diferents possibilities to do. I choose "Yes to all" (overwrite), but the system stoped once more when finds .exe files o system files, and ask (one more time) the same question...

Know anybody how make copy in one single pass?

Is possibly quit "Yes to all" when finds sames files ?
... possibly making any change on register file?

Tank you very much.

Try going to START -> RUN and type command.

Then, input the following line:

COPY C:\DIRECTORY\*.* D:\DIRECTORY /Y > NUL

Obviously replace the directories with the correct ones. The only thing with this is I'm not sure if it'll copy folders. Maybe try using the following if it doesn't work:

COPY C:\DIRECTORY\* D:\DIRECTORY /Y > NUL

Rgds

I think you need to determine just what kind of data you are copying. If you are trying to "clone" a section of your hard drive, and "update" exsisting files, then the process you are following is the only way tht I know of.
However, if you are simply wanting to transfer text files or work files, the process you are following is unnecessary.
It would be easier to help if you would further define "make a copy of my data to another hard disk ".....

Symantac (Norton) has a program called Ghost which you can get from them, you boot from a floppy and that gives you a lot of options for harddrive or partition copying, it's a very well done program, and can clone a harddrive exactly, and pretty fast I might add (much faster that Windows transfers files).

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, I'm just throwing it out as an option.

go to a dos prompt and type xcopy/? exactly the way I wrote it and that will show you

If you don't want to invest in Norton's Ghost (which would be the ultimate solution), follow grygst76's suggestion. XCOPY is the command you use at a DOS prompt to copy all files and subdirectories to another location.

Here's an example where you fill in directory:

XCOPY C:\directory D:\directory /s

The /s is the most common switch to use which copies subdirectories. To find more switches you might want to use, type "XCOPY /?" and hit enter. You can use multiple switches at a time. Just remember that whenever you attempt to copy system files, Windows cannot be running.

~cdogg

DISKCOPY C: D: [deejay]
Nate
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"

If using xcopy, don't forget to use the "/e" command after the "/s" command. The "/e" will, when a directory is empty, still copy over the directory record. May seem insignificant, but who knows...

try this :
lets say ur first hdd is c: and the other is d:
and the directory name is "dir"
this works on win95/98/ME

xcopy c:\dir\*.* d:\dir /s /e /c /h /k /y /r

this called a clone command and it will not prompt u for anything

best regards
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor