Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy and Paste 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbuffer

Technical User
Nov 22, 2005
US
I copy and paste selected files on my local computer to a network computer as a backup of these files. My problen is that they are still linked together and if I need to go to the network computer to restore a file because something went wrong it is already updated with the wrong info. How can I copy and paste files to a network computer without the information and/or the files being linked.

Thanks
Debbie

Save it with a different name ie: datafile.txt and datafile1.txt

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

Your welcome.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

Have one probably dumb question?

if I am doing a copy and paste, from my computer to the network computer once I have done that I would rename the file the ???.txt file?

Debbie

BadFrog, one more question see copy/paste post dbuffer

I would prefer todo a, "save as" and then slect a different name if you want to prevent both files from having the same data. If save as is not an option then maybe you can pre-create a file by a different name prior to copy and pasting.

Did I understand your question right?

Albert Einstein

Save as is not an option, i tried it. What I am doing is going to windows explorer on my local computer, and going to my documents and settings file. I am choosing the complete files ie my documents,desktop, favorites, then I am also going to my computer and choosing program files. then I do a copy on them and go to my network drive server and paste the entire file on to my network drive server. I think it would be too much to pre create all these files if I understand that correctly. I thought maybe once I did the copy and paste to the network server that if I rename ie. desktop, backupdesktop that might work.

Debbie

In most environments the program files folder contains static data that doesn't change unless the program itself gets updated, ie the files your applications use to run. If I'm understanding you correctly you are basically just trying to backup your data for which there are much more efficient and less-maintenance tools available to do that for you.

That being said is this a home network or a commercial business network?

Albert Einstein

BadFrog,

this is a business network server. It is just the mainserver for our company. It gets backup up auto every night. Where as my local computer doesn't. I like to backup the files that the applications use to run along with my data because I have a habit of messing with stuff to try something new and usually mess it up so that way I have a backup to return it to where it was before I did anything.
Debbie

Then you should be able to simply copy and paste them into whatever folder you create on your server. If thats what your doing and its not working then maybe try creating a new folder to copy and paste to. By default the files should not be linked.

Albert Einstein

BadFrog,

Thank you I will try that. I appreciate your quick response to my questions.

Thanks
Debbie

Your very welcome I hope that works for you. Thanks for the star!

Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back