Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy All Values of Repeating Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

tad2003

Technical User
Sep 3, 2003
US
Hi,
Is there any way to copy all values of a repeating field at once with doing a "get repetion" for each value?
Thanks.

No you cannot group copy and paste multiple fields.

A couple of points should be made because I do not know your level of understanding of programming or FM. A copy paste script can only be accomplished when the fields being copied or pasted exist on your layout.

An easier way to create this report may be to use the SETFIELD command. To do a copy you have to navigate the layout that contains the field you wish to copy. Then you have to select the field and then copy it, then go back to your report layout to select the result field and paste it. With SETFIELD, you may be on any layout you wish and neither field needs to exist on that layout and the setfield will input the values based on your formula. Your formula may look something like this:

SETFIELD(Result 1, your formula)
SETFIELD(Result 2, your formula)
SETFIELD(Result 3, your formula)
SETFIELD(Result 4, your formula)
SETFIELD(Result 5, your formula)

When you eliminate the navigation from the script to create your report, this should run very quickly. You can then navigate to the report layout to display the results and for printing.

I want to say I don't like using repeating fields like this and if I better understood why you were using them, there could also be a much cleaner way to do your report. The relational aspect of FM makes reports self completing through setting up relationships. For example, a client database base could contain client related information and be connected to a project database. Inside this project database can exist unlimited projects or quotes. This would allow you to create one or many quotes for a client and never have to edit or change the quote unless you wanted to of course and alway have them retrievable. Each quote can be kept separate from each other yet attached to the client file for easy reference or editing. The invoice or quote report could easily reprint one or all of these quotes. Repeating fields would not be used in any of these databases.

When I better understand what is in a quote I can give you better directions if this sounds like it will help you.

Marty

Marty,
Thanks for the reply.
Our quotes need several lines of fields with standard order information (catalog number, quantity, description, unit price, extended price ...). I have built a project database and need to be able to produce multiple quotes for each project. The multiple quotes include several copies of initial quotes to potential bidders and as the project developes we may revise the quote up to 10 times.
We need to be able to retrieve older quotes, so revisions cannot replace new data.
At present the quote fields and layouts are part of the project database. I have seperate fields and layouts for each quote and revision (fields = initial quote unit price, revision 1 unit price, ....) (layouts = initial quote, revision 1, revision 2, ....)
Each quote needs approximately 100 lines for product information. Currently these are single fields with 100 repetitions. I had hoped to be able to use a single quote layout and use scripts to replace the data from the repeating fields into generic fields on a quotation report layout.
Does this make since? I would appreciate any suggestion.
Thanks,
Todd

Could you email your file to me? mlisonbee@charter.net

Where do the catalog numbers and price come from right now?

Is this working for you this way?

Would it be easier for you to select the quote items from a drop down menu?

Would it be easier to have the quote items in a database by itself?

I was browsing my solution examples to see what I have that may be a good example and I think I found the perfect thing for you. Download this file This is what I had in mind that would work. Click on a client and see how many invoices can be listed. This in your case could be quotes. Click on a quote and notice how you have any option to duplicate the invoice. Press duplicate and you are asked do you want to keep the same line items or not. This would allow you to duplicate a quote and then make changes to it, then reprint it. The history is kept when the quote was done and you can go back at any time to re-view any of the quotes.

Also note that you have a item database. The tab interface gives the illusion of one database but there are actually 5 database working seemlessly together.

I hope this helps.

Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back