Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy all email from one mailbox to another 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuartMillar

Technical User
Jul 6, 2004
GB
This seems deceptively difficult, and it shouldn't be!

How can I transfer all emails from one mailbox, to another mailbox?

You can export the mailbox to a PST and then import from that PST into the new mailbox.

Exmerge should do this.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

One easy-ish way would be to give the second account permissions to the first one, and then copy/move the messages through Outlook.

I've used NcCorduan method this time, but would love to hear how to give it permissions dylan691!

Pretty straight forward -
in original account properties - Exchange Advanced tab, Mailbox Rights button - Add the Second account and basically check everything - especially "full mailbox access". (note: if you want to forward messages sent to this original account to the second account, go to the Exchange General tab and Delivery options).
Then, in the outlook of the second user, depending on the version of outlook, you want to find the Account Settings and the Advanced tab where you can indicate "Open these additional mailboxes". Then, the original mailbox will be viewed like another folder group (like a PST would be viewed).
Hope this is clear!

Before you Start reading, I tell you that the post will be a few long, before quit, read it till the end because it will be very usefull in the future.

The best way for a System administrator to migrate Mailboxs or mail messages, is by using Exchange Merge utility (EXmerge.exe). You will find this tool in your Exchange CD in the Support tools.

But before you can use the Exchange Merge utility, you must ensure that you have the correct permissions.
The first permission you must have is "Full Mailbox Access" in the user mailbox. Of course you don't want to set this permission manually in every mailbox that you want to migrate, and of course Exchange is prepared for that. You are "Exchange Full Administrator", right? So you have "Full Mailbox Access" in every Exchange Server mailbox by default.

Assuming that you are "Exchange Full Administrator", and you didn't have to do anything for the first permission, in the second permission you will have to change one thing.

The Exmerge utility work like this. It will access to the source mailbox, will read the information, put it in a PST file and send all the information from the PST file to the destionation mailbox. But if you try this without changing more anything, you will be unsuccessfull. The Exmerge utility, to work right, also need the "Receive As" and "Send As" permission in the user mailbox.

To configure your Exchange Server to enable the "Receive As" as "Send As" permission for your Administrator Account, check this knowledge base article:
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 292509

Also check this article, for you to understand what is Exmerge utility:
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 265441

Best regards,
Luís Rato
MCP;MCSA;MCSA Messaging;MCSE;CIWA;CIWP;CIWSA;MCIWA

dylan619 - That works! Well almost, when I try to add one particular user, I get the error message "unable to look up user names for display". But for all other users it is fine. Any idea why this could be?

Ah its because Administrator (me) doesn't have permission to view it. In Active Directory > User properties > Advanced Exchange > Mailbox Rights > Advanced ...

... it says the permissions for Administrator (within the user) has been inherited from a parent object, and therefore cannot be changed from here. Whats the parent object?

To change the permissions for Administrator within the user, it needs to turn off inheritable permissions for Administrator to be able to remove or change it. But it doesn't say where the parent object is, any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back