Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy adp file to multiple users network folder 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kklegman

MIS
Nov 14, 2003
US
I'm looking for a way to copy an adp file to multiple users network folders as an automated process or scheduled task. Server adp file resides on is W2k Server - network folder is on W2003 Server. Users are members of an Active Directory group. Backend is Sql Server 7. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kim

eh, what do you mean by multiple user's network folders?

folders on a network server which the user can access or folders on the local user's computer which can be accessed from the network?

also, are you looking for a push or pull solution?

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

I have a group of users for the database. Each user has a mapped network folder to our fileserver for their own files - I am currently copying and pasting the adp file into that mapped network folder. What I'd prefer is a script or scheduled task that will copy the adp file from the master file location to the mapped folder as needed. So I guess I would need a push solution.

are these 2 servers all on the same network?

you can create a simple batch file, or script and just have your scheduler run it.

The setup I have is everyone has a local FS version on thier own computers, and on thier desktop they have a shortcut to a script on the server.
On the server, there's a specific location where the most up to date rollout version sits.
The script automatically checks the local version to see if it out of date compaired with the version on the server, if it is, it'll copy the server version over to the local computer (overwriting the old version) and then start the database.
This way, users only ever click on a single shortcut to start the front end, and is always using the most up to date version, and I don't have to do anything apart from increase a version number on the back end, and copy the latest version to the rollout location. I suppose I can even get this in a script but don't really see the benefits of it...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Thanks for the reply!

The servers are onthe same network. I'll look into creating a batch file to copy the file over.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back