Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copper to fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

hankdaphoneguy

Technical User
Aug 22, 2005
US
I have a Hitachi 5400, that is used in a hotel, and has 70 analog phones in a remote location ( 3500 feet to another part of the resort with no remote cabinet). It is fed by 100 pair copper, that we are constantly losing pairs on. Our V.P. want s to change this from 100 pair copper to 1 pair of fiber. I only know one way to do this, by putting fiber controllers on each end and adding the remote cabinet, which hitachi wants 30,000 dollars to do. And they will not guarantee that the VM and PMS will still work, is there any other way to do this?

Thanks for the post Hawks, unfortunately my pbx is not set up for fxo/fxs, Veritron is out of the Verimuxs, and are redesigning them, so that solution is 6-12 months out. I can't use T-1 because of our call accounting solution. RAD US has a megaplex, but that application costs more than the Hitachi fix of a remote shelf, with fiber cards at both ends. And Hitachi won't guarantee that our VM and PMS will work, I think my best bet is to just pull new copper.

thanks for the reponses guys. Copper is going to be the fix for now, when the switch craps out we will definately install a remote cabinet on fiber.

My question is: why are the copper pairs going bad?

Poor installation? Broken conduit?

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back