Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copper gigabit

Status
Not open for further replies.

alura

Technical User
Jun 23, 2003
US
We're upgrading our servers to copper gigabit. I have to get new lines run to the servers anyway (since they're all on a switch) so I was wondering what wiring I need. Is Cat5-enhanced enough... or should I use cat6 ? Also, is there a length limit on these runs... or is it the same as cat5 ethernet? Thanks

If they are all in one room, cost per foot won't amount to much so go Cat 6, if they are NOT all in one room, then greater overhead will be more important so go with Cat 6 or fiber.
If they reboot and crash everyday anyway no one will notice network instability anyway, do it on the cheap

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

if you're looking to allow more bandwidth to the servers, I would recommend going Cat 6, but a good brand name such as Nordx/CDT 2400 series. Depending on how many you have, and your set up, there are numerous configurations that you can put together. Cat 5E is probably enough though.

I guess I'll probably go with Cat6... I'd rather get the latest... does cat6 use the same wiring pairs as cat5?

it does use the same pairs, but if you're planning on doing it yourself, be careful. Cat 6 is quite difficult and stringent to terminate. Cat5E is a little more forgiving.

I am curious, why would cat6 be more difficult than cat5e?
While there is a very slight difference in AWG, if you use good connectors it shouldn't be any different.
Maybe a better way to ask is why would cat5e is more forgiving?
Enquiring minds want to know.
Thanks

The specs for Cat 6 are nuch more stringent than Cat5e and the cable is tested to 250Mhz whereas Cat 5e is tested to 100Mhz.

As such, proper installation and termination practices are even more critical with Cat6 than with Cat5e. I have seen Category 5e cable installed and terminated in such a way that it would not pass Cat5e certification but would pass Cat3.

Improperly installed Cat6 cable and connectors will likely perform to Cat5e (or 3 or 4) specs assuming you have continuity on all pairs

Installation practices are equally if not more important than use of high quality components in providing a compliant and reliable installation.

.....Just my opinion

Category 6 specifications added more stringent electrical requirements to the test specifications. Since the bandwidth increased from 100 Mhz to 250 Mhz, there was a need for tighter requirements.

The wire itself is constructed differently to comply, generally tighter twists, a web center that keeps the pairs separated, bonded pairs where the insulation is actually melted together, flat type construction with individual compartments for each pair, etc.

The terminations them self are relatively the same, however, to get the channel to pass it takes some care. In the old days, we could kink (and then unkink) the Cat5e and get it to pass, this is often not the case with Cat6. I've had a channel not pass, simply open the modular connector, reterminate it carefully, and it will pass.

In short, all the things you heard about Cat5e that you HAD to do to make it pass (but really didn't), you pretty much do for Cat6. Mainly the reason it is 'harder' is the wire often takes a bit more time and care to strip and prepare, the connecting hardware is also sometimes more precise and requires maintaining the twist very carefully (not adding twist to the pairs either), and pulling the cable in needs to be done more carefully.

In my estimates, I have different labor rates for Cat6 products, some are rather wicked on time requirements for installation and termination.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Thanks for the info guys,

If i'm looking for someone to install some cat6 lines, will I need to look for a specialized electrician?

If so, does anyone know where i'd go about looking for one? I'm in the Philadelphia suburbs... Thanks

Any electrician that does network wiring and has kept his training up to date on the latest specs should be able to do the job. I would make sure whoever does the job has proper training and will test and certify the cable to the specs.

Last time I checked, both Cat 5e and Cat 6 are rated for gigabit performance, and frankly it is much more difficult to get Cat 5e to consistently perform at gigabit speeds than it is for Cat 6. There is no problem with either if only running 10BaseT or 100BaseT.

The reason for my question was that it was made to sound like Cat 6 was physically more difficult to terminate, something I have never found to be true, if using the proper components and tools.

I will again go back to what I have always said about consistency, do everything the same way, then you have much fewer chances for error.

Whether I am training people to terminate Cat 3 or Cat 6, I teach them the same way, build good habits and you will be the better for it.

I have found the biggest culprit, or mistake made by cable installers is shiners , or improper removal of the sheathing,Most sheath strippers have a flat blade to remove the sheath and when ringing the sheath they hit the high points on the twisted pairs,so I strictly teach an installer to use the pull string after ringing the sheath.

Whether I am training people to terminate Cat 3 or Cat 6, I teach them the same way, build good habits and you will be the better for it.

Basically sound advice, but not completely practical. The components (jacks) may not be the same. Different manufacturers have different termination methods. If you teach your guys how to do Panduit Cat6, then hand them a Leviton USOC and some cat3, it isn't the same nor is the termination method.

Yes there are some similarities and some common things for almost any twisted pair, but it's not the same. The other thing to be aware of, is that as new products come out, techniques change. Back in the Cat3 days, we had no idea we were going to be doing wire with bonded pairs. But, as the new product came out, there was a new method, and we had to learn it. The key is more likely to be aware, adaptable, and learn each new technique as it comes out.

There is much to be said for consistancy, however I believe there is more to be said for terminating the product per the manufacturers recommendation. Remember your interpretation of how it should go together may not be what the engineers decided when they designed and tested the project.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back