Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cooling Air Coming Into Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirate252

Programmer
Mar 21, 2002
US
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or know any sites that have things on how to actually cool the air coming into your system via the front intake fans, i came up with my own idea of twisted copper piping with iceswater flowing through them, but i need a more practicle one, any help woul dbe nice.

Thanks All

Matt

well icant remeber who puts it out but they actually make a water coliant system im not sure how it works thou.But dont let that get you down becuse if its a variant there of you could still market it well if thats what your wanting to do.

Now if only you could connect a portable air conditioning unit (say with some extractor hose, the type you get for a cloths dryer) to the lower front intake point, this would lower the case system temp by 15-20 degrees C and you would have the basis for some serious overclocking. Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

The water cooled unit mentioned is retail, and intended for CPU cooling. I can't point you to a website, but a search should reveal all.
Rather than cool the air going into the case, maybe identify the component producing all that excess heat and deal with it direct - have some efficient cooling for graphics cards and CPU's. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

We all know what produces heat in a system: CPU, GPU PSU and hard drives.
We could fit an individual cooler of some type or other to each seperate component (but if the ambient air being supplied to the case is WARM, you are blowing WARM air on to it's components) so the idea of supplying a refrigerated/cooled air supply to the PC and pumping it through the case is far superior as every component would benefit.
Problem is this is easier said than done.
One of my Jobs takes me into the computer vaults of NatWest Banking in the UK and the air temperature and humidity are kept very low! to a JUST BAREABLE level for a working enviroment, so this is not a NEW IDEA. Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

I agree with Martin. I used to install and modify computerized telephone switches. They were (are) very heat sensitive--and humidity sensitive. One of our customers decided at the corporate level that humidity was worse than heat. So, they ordered the thermostats increased to 85 degrees F. on the theory that increased heat lowered humidity. Boy were they ever wrong! We never could convince them that cool air conditioned air was dryer than heated air. They had to learn the hard way when components began to fail and the increased heat made a miserable environment to work in. I could put on a coat if I was cold, but I suffered when it was too hot!! Once the temperature came back down and the bad circuit packs were replaced everything worked great. I guess what I am saying is that if we could cool the entire case economically, then there would be no heat related failures. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

A mini air conditioner huh? well that sounds like the best way so-far, sept my little plan...were would i get one of those and how much would they cost? I dont have tons of cash, im only 15 ;)

Thanks All

Matt

Depending on how adventurous you are, and how much room you have, perhaps try removing the comressor and piping from a small refrigerator. Not as silly as it may sound at first, as the piping is often copper and easily bent, and it contains everything you need. You could duct forced air through the cooling element and allow the computer to draw this in, but be aware you also have a corresponding 'hot' section which will need to be cooled.
Have fun! My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

I have just set up a test system (fairly old pentium that gives off a fair ammount of heat) to set up a system like this for all my computers.

Basically I'm either going to either pick up a old fridge or a radiator from a scrapyard for the cooling system and have the pipe run through the computer(s) and loop past the hottest sections.

I'll post the details here when I've finished the project.

Hi garwain

Check out these guys. They have what you need. Including water cooled cases.

HTH
Ed Please let me know if the suggestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes you're the windshield... Sometimes you're the bug.
smallbug.gif

But butchering the case is half the fun :-(

I will never buy something when I can build it myself (unless I need it in a hurry)

Only thing to remember is if you arn't sure of what the end result will be, use an old system that you don't care about. it's not fun to destroy that new system that you completed last week...

pirate252, you are young enough to invent a new cooling system, patent it and get rich by 18!! [2thumbsup] "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Just whatch for condensation guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Warm air hitting a cold surface = condensation/water
Water + computer = BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Just watch for condensation guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Warm air hitting a cold surface = condensation/water
Water + computer = BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

That thing about codensation, they sell special coolant for PC Cooling purposes. So as long as you stick with a coolant, not straight water, you should be fine.

Jay [3eyes]

I am not talking about evaporation DBSSP, rather the kind of condensation that happens on your windows when it's cold outside and warm in.
Large corporate computer users both DRY and COOL the air in there centres for this reason. Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

That was what I was saying wasn't it?.......Oh I see, I got it backwards! My bad. That would also depend on what kind of air you have flowing and what kind of materials are used, correct? Ahh, great debates of effective PC cooling, it really doesn't get much more scientifically specific than this!

Jay
[3eyes]

Yes, I suppose you would get condensation on the cooling elements, even frosting. Some provision would need to be made to collect any drips. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Glycol might work well with a set of fins like you get on a kit for a car for a transmission cooler. A radiator works on a car, why not on a PC. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back