Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cool New NetWare Client Feature 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2003
US
Hey, I just found a cool option in the 4.9 client that helps with the problem of having to do a Novell login and then a Windows login in certain situations.

Under "Advanced Login", there is an option for "Copy NetWare Username to Windows". By default it is off.

Here is the description taken verbatim from the client:

If this setting is on, whatever is entered in the primary (NetWare) Username field is copied into the Windows Username field, regardless of what might already be there. This setting has no effect when logging in Workstation Only, nor does it have any effect when doing a secondary login (from the Red N). Note that if the Windows Username is blank, this happens without this setting, but once the value has been set by a successful login, it will persist with that value, unless the location profile mandates that the name be blank. This setting makes it possible for an administrator to set up duplicate usernames in both NDS and Windows and the user can then log into both with a single entry. This setting provides support for UPN syntax and using dots in NDS usernames.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Hi Marvin

I have just upgraded my W2K workstation to the new client and it seems to have slowed the performance of the pc right down. What have I done wrong?

thanks in advance

Allan

What client version did you have before you upgraded? What version of NetWare server(s) are you running? What protocols are you running? And although I'm flattered, why would you specifically ask me for the answer? You might want to start a new post so other people will see it.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Hi Marvin

Thanks for the prompt response, I saw the post and my problem 'jumped into my head' (it was late at night)

We are running netware 6 sp4 on ip protocol (no ipx)

The previous client was 4.8

Thanks

Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back