Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cookies? Lots of Cookies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainstx

Technical User
Jan 21, 2002
US
Hi all,
I am attempting to make a page that users can enter multiple email addresses into text filed and then hit submit, which imputs the email addresses into *accounts.txt* file. One Draw is that the users that are importing the data are subcategorized by departments. (marketing,pr,customerservice etc.). So in a drop down list the users selects the department and puts in there email address and name. --> The page verifies that they are ok in that department to use the form. --> The next page they can enter the form and it has there information stored to submit with the entries. ...

Can anyone lead me in the right dirction, or has anyone done anything similar. I know you can do it all with javascript, but am just a little stumpes as to where to start??

rainstx

Personally, I'm sort of unclear on your request. If you actually want your JavaScript to write directly to the client's hard drive (not using cookies), you'll have to use ActiveX controls (Internet Explorer only and I think Windows only... I haven't researched them much though).

However, I can't really say for sure if you can or cannot get this to work in normal JavaScript, since I don't get it! Please elaborate on your Q.

I apologize, I don't want the cookie to write directly to the harddrive, what I want is for the client to first enter a page
1. where they choose from a drop-down box a department type
2. where they enter there email address..

They then hit next, which takes them to a page that has there the previous page values example (what amazon, or any other ecommerce site does)..
"welcome, xuser you in department y"

Then the user enteres a list of people they want to create accounts for..
user1@abc.com
user2@abc.com
user3@abc.com

They enter those into a text box, hit submit and the data is sent to a .txt file via (post)..

info.txt

xuser department y
user1@abc.com
user2@abc.com
user3@abc.com

The problem is I am using a Linux box, and I don't have the luxary of being able to use a db with php or etc..
so I am stuck with using javascript, which I am sure this can be done..

I hope that was clear.. if not my aim account:
rainstxsttls or hotmail rainstx

Any help would be appreciated..

It can't be done with javascript. Cookies won't do it, they're stored on the USER'S machine, and javascript is only executed on the client (i.e. user's) side, so it can't access the common file that you want to store the data in. A server side program is the only way to do it. Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back