Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cookie Problem?? Losing entered data

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfisher

Programmer
Apr 15, 2002
US
I'm running Windows XP and Internet Explorer 7. When I enter a website, put in id and password and start going to other pages, suddenly it sends me back to home page as if no data has been entered. This happens on all websites I've been to that requires id and passwords. It seems to be losing the cookies and suddenly doesn't think I'm logged in. it also happens when filling out a data page - when I get to the end and continue, it loses all the data and goes back to the previous page. any ideas will be welcome. It's making me crazy. Thanks.

Yes, I do have cookies enabled. Sometimes I can go through a few pages before it suddenly goes back to the screen to enter the id and password. Thanks for your input. I welcome any ideas!

This problem is often the result of a lost 'session'. In short, this is one of the ways that a webserver keeps track of you (instead of thousands of other users) during a browsing session. If that's what it is, lost sessions can occur for many reasons, usually related to the internet connection and traffic. For an example to illistrate one possible scenario (which might not apply to your case), consider a network that has multiple internet connections and some load balancing system to balance them. If for some reason, the load balancer decides to send your traffic on different internet connections from one web page to the next, the session will be lost.

Did you try cleaning temp files and cookies? Do you have enough space assigned?

Cheers,
Dian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back