Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting Word Macro into VBScript 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scanlan

Technical User
Sep 7, 2001
US
Hi all,

I have a Word macro that works quite nicely when run in Word. The catch is that I want to write into a VBScript that is run from the browser. This script opens Word, writes some stuff in it and then, I want it to run my little macro. I really want to write the macro in the script instead of just having the script call the macro. (Because other people will use the script and I can't run around installing the macro on everyone's machines.)

So, here is my macro. Any advice in getting into VBscript would help. (The := construction is a problem, as is aWord.)

Sub TestMacSpell()

ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Add Name = "temp", Range = Selection.Range
For Each aWord In ActiveDocument.Words
If Not Application.CheckSpelling(aWord.Text, CustomDictionary = "CUSTOM.DIC", IgnoreUppercase:=False) Then
aWord.Font.Color = wdColorRed
End If
Next aWord
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("temp").Select
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("temp").Delete
End Sub

Thanks,
Ann

I've gotten the := problem solved, but I am still hung up on the aWord part.

For some reason, aWord is not working at all, even though it works just fine when I paste it into a macro in Word and run it from there.

I've tried testing it several different ways and still no luck. (Yet everything I try still works in Word.)

Anyone have any idea what I missing here?

Thanks,
Ann

The blue code below is the VBScript equivalent of your VBA macro. One note - replace the oWord variable with whatever variable you use in your script to hold the reference to the Word.Application object.

The red code is what I used to emulate the functionality you describe as "This script opens Word, writes some stuff in it"

Set oWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")
WITH oWord
.Documents.Add
.ActiveDocument.BookMarks.Add "beginning", .Selection.Range
.Selection.TypeText "This is only a testff of the functionality."
.ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("beginning").Select
.ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("beginning").Delete
.Visible = True
END WITH

WITH oWord.ActiveDocument
.Bookmarks.Add "temp",oWord.Selection.Range
For Each aWord In .Words
If Not oWord.CheckSpelling(aWord.Text,"CUSTOM.DIC",False) Then